The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In couple muzzleloading books now I have seen reference to using buck skin as an alternative to cloth patching for use in a rifle. The thought of using a piece of deer hide to me that I have put hours into scrapping then tanning seems like a terrible waste. But on the other hand I can buy pillow ticking at Walmart when 200 years ago there was not Walmart.

Historically does anyone know how common it was to use a piece of deer hide for patching? Has anyone every tried it themselves? Did it shoot any different?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I've never tried it, so I have nothing to offer, but you have me curious now. I'll have to check back to see what folks say. May have to try it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I don't know how HC it is but we tried it.

If you can find very thin and soft hide it works great. The hide we tried you could actually reuse the patches if they could be found.

If you can find the real leather chamois for drying cars they will work , they are probably goat skin.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
pound it thin enough and im sure it will work fine as soon as you grease it. With that said, dont grease them until you are ready to use them or else they could rot.

·
Registered
12,140 Posts
I would think it should be split. Leather is skivved into thinner layers and the layers skived off are called splits.

Deer hide is difficult but not impossible to skiv.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i tried it we beated in down to a thin piece and took 3 shots all i can say is not good had to beat ram rod down on 2nd time i dont think ill try that again

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
I used to shoot often with a guy who fancied himself as a modern day mountain man and he tried using deer hide as patching. Gave it up because the thickness was not consistent and it was a real pain to load even when heavily greased. Also, it was easier and more cost effective to use cloth. He tried green leaves too, but that's another story.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts