The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with the deer seasons on us now,would anyone near charleroi pa be interested in deer hearts/livers?If myself or my kids were to harvest any,i would be happy to keep those for you.These would be free and fresh from wild legally harvested deer.

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
I don't waste my energy hauling them out.We don't eat organ meat as it is not a healthy food.I tried to give it to some people we know who eat anything...well anything but deer heart and liver.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
10der222 said:
I don't waste my energy hauling them out.We don't eat organ meat as it is not a healthy food.I tried to give it to some people we know who eat anything...well anything but deer heart and liver.
its actually not too bad...liver and onions YUMMMMM

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Zac,I have actually tried the liver and no matter how I cook it,it seems very dry.I have no problem with beef liver or even a few chix livers but I just can't figure the venison liver out.We don't eat organ meat much at all,maybe once a year.

·
Registered
15,144 Posts
Alway heard that deer heart wasn't good for you and always asked why? When I was a kid I loved to eat deer heart all the time and didn't seem to be unhealthy just thought I would ask because nobody ever gave me answer on why it's not good for you.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
fordman99 said:
Livers go to my Dad,he loves 'em.Hearts get pickled in that "behind the bar" balogna jar.
how do you pickle the hearts? ive tried it last year but the recipe i used did not turn out well at all.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I would be interested in this recipe as well.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
ZacPAbowhunter said:
fordman99 said:
Livers go to my Dad,he loves 'em.Hearts get pickled in that "behind the bar" balogna jar.
how do you pickle the hearts? ive tried it last year but the recipe i used did not turn out well at all.
I'm thinking that what fordman99 means is he uses the liquid from the Bolgna you normally see setting in those jars on a bar...

I know those bologna pieces in the jar are sold at some of the Grocery Stores...

IF this is what fordman99 is meaning... do you have to heat up the liquid and then put the slices of deer heart in it and let it soak?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
we give all of ours to my cousin. He pickles all the hearts and at the end of the year when we have our "hunters party" aka game feast, he brings all the jars there

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Sorry it took so long to get back to ya fellas!!
But yes Woody is right,you can buy those jars of hot balogna and use that or here on I've tried before that turned out well...http://www.coalregion.com/Recipes/bologna.htm

Just cook the hearts and slice or cube 'em up,let 'em soak for a few days.I've also split the vinegar using 50/50 white/apple cider.
Also great for beef tongue too!!!
And no Woody you don't wanna heat it up.Some folks just let it set out but I keep mine in the fridge.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yep,Millers will work,but if I use it I like to throw in some extra pepper.Even some fresh Habenaro or Jalapeno will do the trick.
Also try putting in some cauliflower or sliced green peppers!!!...good eatin'

·
Registered
391 Posts
ZacPAbowhunter said:
[
Here is one you can try. I'm not into hot and spicy so this one doesn't go there.

Put the heart in a 2 or 3 quart pot season to taste that is salt pepper some garlic and 8 or 10 cloves. Fill the pot with a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 Vinegar, I like the cider vinegar but you can use white also. Bring to boil cover and simmer for about 1 hour. Remove and drain and put in fridge. Slice thin and eat with crackers.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The reason it is not healthy is:
all internal organs(liver,heart,gizzards,etc.)are very high in cholesterol.

·
Registered
342 Posts
your crazy for not eating or even taking the liver or hearts with you to at least give someone.

Pickle the Hearts(have posted the recipe on here before. something about boiling the hearts til cooked. Slice Hearts and place in Gallon jar with Sliced Onions. Mix Boiled water with some kinda combination with vinegar, garlic n other such ingredients n pour over heart n onions in jar. Let sit for a few days in fridge)

Soak the liver in Milk overnite and cook with onions the next day.

Had a big mess of chicken hearts of the weekend as well for the 1st time....TASTEE!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I did not mean to give the impresion that I don't keep them-sorry.
I have a kid down the street that I give them to-you should see his eyes when I give him a heart or liver,you would think it is Christmas morning!!!
If someone wants to eat them,thats fine,I don't(especially after my Quad-Bypass a few years ao.

·
Registered
533 Posts
ford man we do the same exact thing with ours it is amazing favorite part of the deer i have to say. we also use the deer toung like the beef but just smaller.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts