The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used this product on there food plots in the hard to get places where you can't get lime ? It is suppose to be used as a supplemental for lime and boost PH ! If you have used it how did it work ? I was thinking about trying it but for the cost I wanted to hear some feedback on it ! Thanks !

·
Registered
275 Posts
Calcium supplements are not replacements for lime. You will provide calcium to the plants, but you won't significantly adjust pH. $120 seems pricey too. Expect them to be thick, and hard to spray.
$57 for liquid calcium - https://www.domyown.com/cal-flo-liquid-limestone-p-8744.html

Plot boost just looks like nitrogen and micro nutrients. You didn't mention what you're trying to grow, or soil test results, so it would be hard to recommend the right fertilizer.

Also check out Keystone's CalPower Calcium and nutratender. They're probably a better value. (Couldn't figure out the amount of calcium in Plotstart to compare)
https://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/wildlife-food-plot-products-96/fertilizer-foliar-feeders-100/?zenid=764f988cf800cf53fcac831d1ddf777b

·
Registered
275 Posts
https://www.canr.msu.edu/resources/facts_about_soil_acidity_and_lime_e1566

16. What are the materials called fluid lime, liquid lime or lime suspension?
Finely ground limestone is suspended in water or a fertilizer nitrogen solution. The suspension usually contains 55 to 70 percent fine limestone (finer than 100 mesh), 25 to 40 percent water and 1 to 4 percent colloidal clay.

17. Are liquid lime materials better than dry lime?
Yes and no. These liming materials react quickly and bring about rapid increase in soil pH, but have limited residual effect for maintaining soil pH. One drawback may be that the total amount of lime that can be applied is usually less than with dry limestone. Thus, more frequent lime applications are needed. These materials also tend to be more expensive than dry agricultural lime.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info !! The place I'm talking about is a spot that use to be an old logging landing on a 349 acre piece of private property that a little old lady owns and has given me permission to archery hunt only ! It hasn't been hunted for 20 yrs or better and she doesn't want any loud noises so as not to attract attention. It is all mountainous terrain and I'm not aloud to dig anything up or have any machinery on the property but she said I could rake up the ground and put some throw n grow out so I was planning on putting out some clover and spray the plot start on it because it would be easier to haul a back pack sprayer up there on my back than try to haul several bags of lime that's why I was asking. There is no other food around other than natural foods.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Redlab why not try and plant winter rye in september. The rye will grown in sub par PH levels. I even read where guys said spilled seed would germinate in the back of a pickup truck.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
How big is your proposed plot area? Do you plan to do a soil test to determine the current pH level?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Redlab why not try and plant winter rye in september. The rye will grown in sub par PH levels. I even read where guys said spilled seed would germinate in the back of a pickup truck.
I was going to say this too. (Skip most "throw and grow" products) If it's a hike to get into, you still have to get water up there, as well as what's likely at 30lb(2.5g?) bottle of spray.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts