The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the trail camera world. I have been using mine for about 3 months now and I love it. I have been hunting in PA and MD. I was thinking about getting a deer feeder for my MD location for next year. I want it for both hunting and trail cam pics.
Do any of you use them and how well do they work?
My thinking is the fact that they have timers so you can control when the put the food out I can set it for morning and evening at the times that I would be in my stand next year. I have been putting piles of corn out this past year with great results on the camera. The feeders seem to broadcast the feed more instead of piling it up and I was wondering if the deer still come in to it because of that.
I am just curious as to what results others are getting with these before I invest in one this summer.

·
Registered
774 Posts
At first it's great, then it clogs up, the batteries don't last , the bears won't leave it be.
You are better off putting the money elsewhere, in my opinion.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yea if u have bears, forget about it, they will destroy it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We don't have any bears where I am at. Do they clog up that fast and often? I have seen some that come with rechargable batteries and solar panels to charge them with.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ok its late and I don’t got much time but first I will say you are taking to the right guy on this topic. lol I have seriously the best set up you could ever possibly dream of. I don’t care how many bears you got cuz its Bear Proof! Bear Proof! Wait till I post my set up! Its getting late now ill post pics and explain tomorrow. The automatic feeders wont plug all you do is dump your corn thru a 1/2 by 1/2 chicken screen as you dump it into your barrel. Ive had automatic feeders for 10+ years 3 of them running 365days a year! and they have only plugged maybe 5 or 6 times in 10years. and that’s cuz the corn had lots of junk in it. Batterys last at least 1 year shelling corn 5 times a day for a few seconds each time. Seriously wait till i post my set up you will be flat out amazed! Its that good! Simple, easy, and inexpensive but VERY GOOD!! and if you have bears like we do its 1000000% bear proof Guaranteed!!!!!!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RedWolf23, I can't wait to see your set up and what more you have to say but you already have me convinced that I will buy one this summer. I don't have any bears so no worries there. I was looking at the Moultrie Pro with the plastic barrel. Probably the 30 gallon but willing to consider the 55 gallon. I just want something to throw the corn out once in the morning at about 7am and again in the evening at about 430pm. Hoping to get the deer on my trail cam and maybe to my new food plot that I am planting this year as well. Keep in mind that this stand location is in MD right over the PA line where baiting is legal.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ok i looked in my pics and i have a few of my feeders but they arnt real good to see like i want them too be. So be pacient with me im going to take some nice ones with my good camera so i can explane it better I have one at my house and one 45min way at my other property, I think im going down tomorrow or this weekend for sure I will take some nice pics of how its set up so you can get an idea of how to make a very nice set up. Im telling ya your really gonna like it. Ill make a new post so everyone can see it. P.S. Here is the feeders i use and will only use. 0 plastic on them for critters to chew appart. Made in the USA and no digital to screw up from moisture or anything. i got 2 that are 10years old and work like the day i bought them. You can have them go off any time of the day up to 17x a day and up to 60 seconds per feeding. they are sweet! they are about 60 to 70 for the spinner then just use any size barrel you want. if you want a barrel i can get ya one for 20 bucks i have 55gal one and 35gal one. The 55gal steel drums are easy to get 35gal are extreemly hard to find. I get them thru my work. Anyways here is the feeders and spinners. check them out awile. Im gonna get some pics on my set up for ya so just give me a few days to get em.
http://www.gamecountry.biz/index_003.htm

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I know my response is not a direct reply to your question.
With all the concerns about disease is a feeder the right thing to do. I spend my time and money on habitat improvement, which has long term benefits for a wide variety of wildlife, without the risk of creating an unnatural concentration of wildlife. I've also seen where feeders have a detrimental impact on the habitat in the immediate area, again due to the concentrating affect. The convenience of getting a high number of pictures doesn't outweigh the potential consequences.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Homeinthewoods...
I hear what you are saying and I respect your opinion. I just don't see how putting a feeder out that puts corn in the woods will affect the habitat when the deer can and do walk 100 yards away and eat the same thing out of the farmers field. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RedWolf23...
So I assume you are buying the parts and building your own set up instead of buying the feeder as a complete unit. I am definately interested in seeing what you have and hearing the details on how to build them and set them up. It sounds like you are on to something that works great for you. Looking forward to hearing more. I have plenty of time. Not planning on doing this until this summer.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
813 Posts
No problem Amazon Hunter! yeah there is a few parts to buy but you can get most of them at tractor supply or a hardware store. You can buy a complete feeder unit. I would reccomend the moultrie 35gal one in cabelas, its nice to use with my set up if you didnt want to buy the game country spinner and barrel seperate,so either one is good. ill show ya everyting so you know exactly what to get, thats if you like my set up.

Homeinthewoods We do have lots of foodplots with braska turnups rye grass clover all kinds of stuff but they deer wont touch it hardly. very little, If i shut the corn down completely then they still dont touch the food plots. even if the corn is shut off for months we experimented and ive been doing this for a long time. Its hard to say why.
Food plots are definately better and more healthy for them but they just dont hit them hard in either of our propertys. I dont know why they just smash the corn though. Do i believe in Desease around feeders? ummm yeah i do but i will say i believe the cases are very very low if it was a bigger problem then every deer on my property my dads and out other propertys would be dead or have issues but we got 3 feeders shelling corn one 365 days a year and the other 2 about 250 days a year. Tons and tons of deer and lots of bucks 12+ at each place each year. I understand what you mean homeinthewoods. Foodplots do run less risk of disease, but Disease very very well could be in a heavly grazed foodplot as well as around a corn feeder.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Some of my disease concerns are the recent escape of potentially infected CWD deer that resulted in restricted areas in parts of the state.
And when I refer to habitat foodplots are an element but not a major one. I think more of managing the tree/shrub element than foodplots.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I have an "American Hunter" feeder suspended on a rope and pulley system between two trees. It feeds (shelled corn) 2 times a day (which I set it for about 6 seconds) I also have a "trowth" (sp) which I put a "wildlife blend" starting in the spring to supplement the feed for the pregnant does and the growing racks. The feeder has a 6v battery and a solar charger which lets the battery run for a little more than a year. I usually get 1-2 bear each spring but only once did a bear take the feeder down (in 6 years), now I just pull it up higher before I tie it off.
The best part is my son bought me an IR camara and the wire to set it up at the feeder which is about 100 yds from the house. We can set the TV to watch the feeder and when something interesting shows up I hit "record" on the DVD and save it to disk. If the dog alerts to a bear or I see it I give it a round or two of "Bangpops" or whats known as "Shellcracker" and they don't come back until the next spring.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Going to take some pics of my set up tomorrow like i said i would. ill post them tomorrow or sunday under a new topic so you can see it in detail

·
Registered
211 Posts
Realtree1014 said:
Yea if u have bears, forget about it, they will destroy it.
i have a multree auto feeder its just a 5 gallon can with the feeder on the bottom i put up every winter for the deer. have the past 3 years an never had a bear mess with it an i have a cpl on my land. im 6'3 an i put it a good foot or so above my head an they cant touch it..theyll eat it off the ground or wont get any..lol an far as batteries go it runs on 4 D batteries an this 2nd wint on same batteries i have it set for morning an dusk thats it.. an have great sucess with it..

·
Registered
813 Posts
Amazonhunter, I posted all the info for you and anyone else interested on my bear proof corn feeder.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts