The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what it takes to get one of these started. I'm not interested in doing it, but what do these people with a big pen with a 2 doe and a buck go through to have them? And then there's a farm with almost 40 deer inside a enclosed high-fenced field. EPA? Permits? Costs?

I bet its cool to make those bucks become monsters. The one buck i saw today inside a fence had the whitest, tallest rack I've ever seen. Do they give them protein? I'm kind of on the fence with this because those deer don't deserve to be kept as pets, but they do after all have a better chance of survival.

Not sure if this was the correct forum!

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Extremely expensive. Just go to a local deer farm and ask them, they will give you the low down. Also ask them when the next expo will be and go.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
My neighbor raised deer for a long time in a 1/2 acre pen. State regs made it too cost prohibitive, for example, having the deer blood tested each year cost him a lot, plus food costs, etc. made it grow beyond his capability..He sold them all.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
My buddy has a deer farm and has like around 100 dear or so and he goes through 1 ton of feed a month. It's not cheap to run a deer business but you also gotta know what to do when one of your deer get sick. This guy does it full time so not sure if you're able to do that but it makes it easier if u can. Thank god he has two young sons to help him out also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts