The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first rifle season out in the woods. I'm sitting down in a nice little spot when all of a sudden I hear screaming, again and again. I walk to the other side of the mountain thinking someone is hurt or something to only find 8 hunters walking around yelling. Then it clicked, a local told me to try and land a deer before rifle season because people come from all over just to drive the deer during this season. Now how does everyone else feel about this, I'm just very angry and upset I've been hunting this same area from the first day of bow season not one person and now I can't even sit in peace and fear there will be no deer around.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I like it gets the deer moving..deer run back thru the drive half the time so it doesent matter which way they r driving woods
beats sitting there seeing no deer because lack of hunters

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Deer drives have been a tradition for years just like the Monday opener ,it can be very productive way to hunt and a lot of fun ,they have as much right to drive deer as you do to sit in the woods

·
Registered
355 Posts
I like it, it gets deer on their feet and moving around. just stay put and let them push deer to you.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm a big fan of deer drives it gets the deer moving and breaks up a long day on stand.

Join a gang and drive deer it's fun.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Drives. Its another way to get it done. My group usually does small silent drives. They work. I have also be the beneficiary I am sure of other peoples drives in the past. I let people walk by and stay alert you never know when they will push one to you.

·
Registered
20,802 Posts
I love it when a drive comes through an area I'm sitting. Hunting is usually a solo project for me, and it can get tedious if the deer are not moving. Drives sometimes help.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
In the Public SF land we hunt, 1st day is everybody posting spots to hunt. The second day is when the camps and Amish clans drive.

I like it for the same reasons mentioned above. It gets the deer up and moving around, without me slogging through the laurels and briars as a dog. Like I was tasked for in my teen years of camp!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Far enough I shall not judge the other hunter maybe im just jealous I'm out here all alone lol I shall sit back and wait. All I hear is yelling no shooting yet.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yes it does suck but it's public land so nothing you can do. I do think if people are telling and screaming and not paying attention to the wind all they are doing is educating deer. The mature deer will be gone or sneak around them before they even get set up. Plus many of the ones are completely unsafe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah I definetley feel unsafe because there all around me not just in one direction, also my trail cam caught a nice 8 on it I hope he doesn't go to far, but it is what it is Better then being at work

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
I don't have a problem with organized drives but it makes me laugh every time I hear people say that you NEED people to get the deer moving...

How do archery hunters go out there and have deer walking past them with nobody in the woods to move them? Could it be that *gasp* deer actually move naturally when they are relaxed and unpressured??? Naw...

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
dipNrip said:
Yes it does suck but it's public land so nothing you can do. I do think if people are telling and screaming and not paying attention to the wind all they are doing is educating deer. The mature deer will be gone or sneak around them before they even get set up. Plus many of the ones are completely unsafe.
Eh, I'm not so sure about that. We have killed a lot of big mature bucks by driving over the years. It does take skill to set them up, and perform them so that you can kill the deer though. I don't think htere are many groups just wandering around in the woods yelling without a clue....

·
Registered
852 Posts
I remember few years ago a group of guys put on a drive in front of us. Pushing away from us. I can still see the hunter walking away from me 125 yards and this deer came around his back side walking slowly to my right. Deer drives do get deer moving an sometimes the drives do not work pushing deer where they want too.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Buckshot1822 said:
dipNrip said:
Eh, I'm not so sure about that. We have killed a lot of big mature bucks by driving over the years. It does take skill to set them up, and perform them so that you can kill the deer though. I don't think htere are many groups just wandering around in the woods yelling without a clue....
Completely missed my point. If done incorrectly mature bucks will most likely not be shot during a drive if done incorrectly. I watched big bucks sneak out before the drive even started as people were loud and wind was blowing towards the deer.
If done correctly yes they can be sucessful.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
We like to yell and make noise on drives. If you silent "drive", it really opens up the chance of the deer being just in front of you when they get to the watchers.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts