The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
WOW...Jason that was a goosebump article for me. One because I am also an avid surf fisherman and too because it hits the common core of what all this hunting stuff is about so squarely, you have me missing my PAP who i will see again someday, and my Dad who I will see next weekend.

How much did i like it? You got me wishing I lived in Philly so i could read more of your stuff AND THAT is a huge undertaking. Maybe i'll just become regular reader from up here in the mountains on-line, or better yet here on HPA.

Welcome to HPA!!! (or at least the posting part of it) We need more goosebump members regardless of their hunting prowess.
My tip of the day to HPA...click the link and read that one!

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
Jason,

One thought came to my mind as i am here cooking breakfast for my family nd reflect on your story, and i hope you don;t mind me asking in an open forum.

But given that your dad is getting older and it sounds as though your spot is in jeopardy of disappearing, will you continue to take your kids out to hunt for these father and child moments? or will you look to another activity or special place for that? Again no pressure to answer, but your article really hits alot of great points. IE I think as well as you hit the nail on the head of what hunting means, you also hit the nail on the head of hunting is loosing slowly its participants with each generation. Aging mentor, loss of spot, busy family...etc..

If nothing else may that question turn the wheels for another article.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
nice job jason if your son wants to hunt you both can go along with me and my buddy to my house in bradford county.i love passing on the tradition of enjoying the outdoors hunting or not merry christmas !

·
Registered
551 Posts
Jason, thanks for posting. It's too long to read right now amid the hustle and bustle but I'll take the time later. My mom was from Kensington - never sets foot in the woods, though
I will share this with an email group I've cobbled together of Philly people who want to learn to hunt as adults. They will enjoy the inspiration.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Jason
I read the last piney. Great story.
Im in Kensington every other day working. Its a world of difference from the Kensington your grandfather lived in that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I enjoyed the article Jason, thanks.
"where deer hunting runs as deep as the
anthracite", that's Penna. brother.
I read "The Last Piney" in the Sunday paper a while back
and I put John McPhee's "The Pine Barrens" on my
Christmas list, I hope Santa brings it.

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, I appreciate it. I may go hunting again soon, not sure. My dad is actually thinking about buying land, out near Sullivan or Potter Counties.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts