The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone made their own deer coolers? I need some ideas that don't include engineering a compressor & wiring! Some days it reaches 60 during Nov/Dec hunting seasons so there's no hanging my deer. Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
some of us have a old fridges that we just break down the deer into its major parts and cut it up at our leisure. A fridge will take 2 deer. i have thought about trying to make a box that would fit over the front of the fridge so that you can open the door of the fridge and use it to cool down a couple of hanging deer. Just in the thinking stage now.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
We use a small old chest freezer. They are fairly lightweight,but well insulated and can easily hold 3 or 4 quartered deer. We keep it plugged in with the lid cracked open so the meat doesn't freeze solid. It fits nicely in the back of a pickup to transport the meat home. For the trip home, we throw a block of ice in. With a block of ice they will work just like a cooler. Can usually find a 5 cubic ft one on craigs list for under $100.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
certainly a used chest frezzer is good.

Bringing deer back from WY I've used the easy/cheap method.

I visit an small/local applicance store and ask for an empty dryer or washinger box. I've even had some stores say "wait I'll take one out of the box for you, get a nice clean one" then I get extra large cardboard to thickne the wall. One roll of dut tappe $5, and I'm done. Add dry ice wrapped in nespaper and I can bring 2 mule deers with capes home for a 3 days trip back.

they fit in the back of the suv nicely.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
This is what I am thinking about building. A 4'x2'x8 closet. I'm going to use osb and put insluation between the outside and inside boards. I'm going to screw it together so I can store it in pieces when I don't need it. I was thinking of putting a window air conditioner in it, they don't work well below 60 degrees. I think there is a way to make an ac work below 60 but I need to check with a HVAC guy to be sure. First I am just going to try putting ice in it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
You can use a chest freezer and get a temperature control for it.

http://www.kegworks.com/freezer-temperature-controller-967-p18114

homebrewers use these to control temperatures for lagering beer, keeps the yeast int he proper temperature range. this will use less electric and keep a better temperature than just using the freezer alone.

I plan to rig one of these up for a trip out west, will also have a small generator along so I can run them driving down the road too. Plug in with an extension cord at the motel if you are so inclined to stay at one for the night.

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
gary3414 said:
This is what I am thinking about building. A 4'x2'x8 closet. I'm going to use osb and put insluation between the outside and inside boards. I'm going to screw it together so I can store it in pieces when I don't need it. I was thinking of putting a window air conditioner in it, they don't work well below 60 degrees. I think there is a way to make an ac work below 60 but I need to check with a HVAC guy to be sure. First I am just going to try putting ice in it.
Thats what my neighbor did in the butcher shop he made it works pretty good.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
gary3414 said:
Yep, it will work...just install an old freezer thermostat on your air conditioner and your good go, I can set mine at and hold a steady 34 degrees....works best if you also install a defrost timer off an old fridge as well. Works best with the air exhaust always open and the importance of cleanliness can't be overstated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts