The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has made a deer cooler. I thought about building a walk in with an air conditioning unit or converting an old refrigerator intalling rod and removing the shelves. Any advisement would be appreciated, just tired of playing with ice when it is warm.

Thanks,

Kinzua Man

·
Registered
821 Posts
The issue with using an air conditioning unit for a cooler is they aren't designed to get below 60-65 degrees. Coolbot makes a controller that is suppose to overcome that limitation. I've never seen one in operation but I thought I pass the info on. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I did the old refrigerator thing. Placed a rod through the center with all shelves removed. Also put a rod through where the door shelves were. Had two deer quartered in it at one time. Works great for them warm weather kills.

·
Super Moderator
7,822 Posts
4c.... I like how you set that up to hang quarters.

Is the support frame epoxied to the sidewall?

I got a double door fridge cheap, and I like that it has more vertical space to let things hang, but I gotta rig a few rods in there to hang from. I like how you set that up...that looks pretty simple and strong.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Thanks tdd! The support frames are connected to the inside of cooler via screws that I removed from the side plastic and replaced with new ones long enough to go through the wood and back into the original holes. Plenty strong that's for sure! Your double door fridge will be able to do the same, you'll love it!

·
Super Moderator
7,822 Posts
The side walls are totally smooth. The shelves hang on brackets on the support strips in the rear and aren't connected to the sides at all.

I think I got enough inspiration from your pics to get me where I need to go, though!

I was looking for just the same kind of cooler you have. Just didn't find one, lol.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I think cspot built one from a deep freezer some time back. There is another option.

Cheap fridges are hard to find since the power company will give 50 bucks for one that works...

·
Super Moderator
7,822 Posts
Took a lot of looking, but I got my double-door off Craigslist for $100. Great shape, lots of room. Not sure what I'll do with the freezer side, unless I can get it warm enough to not freeze the meat and can hang on that side too.

·
Super Moderator
7,822 Posts
Kinzua, if you want to get a fridge or similar, use Craigslist and look up a site called ifttt.com. You can set it up to continuously check a specific Craigslist search you create, and when someone posts a new item that the search finds, it'll email you.

It's really handy.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks tdd! That is exactly what I had in mind. Now if I can find a sweet cooler like the one you have.

Kinzua Man

·
Super Moderator
7,822 Posts
I have a two-door Kenmore fridge. I still have to engineer a rack, but 4c's cooler has inspired me!

If you've got time to be patient, I'd really look for a cooler like that. I should have held out for something like that, as I had thought that one of those would be PERFECT.

You can get something for a good price, but you'll need to be patient. That seems to be the general rule for Craigslist.....you just have to be very patient.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
tdd said:
I have a two-door Kenmore fridge. I still have to engineer a rack, but 4c's cooler has inspired me!

If you've got time to be patient, I'd really look for a cooler like that. I should have held out for something like that, as I had thought that one of those would be PERFECT.

You can get something for a good price, but you'll need to be patient. That seems to be the general rule for Craigslist.....you just have to be very patient.
Craigslist is where you can find them BUT talk to a Coke/Pepsi employee instead
I got that fully functioning cooler for $100

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
tdd said:
How do you find said employees? I don't see many in my daily travels, lol.
I stopped a guy while he was stocking soda shelves at my local walmart and asked him. he took my number and called me a few weeks later with this lead from another employee. I drove 75 miles to get it but for the price, worth it!

·
Super Moderator
7,822 Posts
Good tip. I'd do the same....and might just watch for the same scenario and ask same thing.

I'm sure I can get all or most of my money back on the fridge if I come across a cooler.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The issue with using an air conditioning unit for a cooler is they aren't designed to get below 60-65 degrees. Coolbot makes a controller that is suppose to overcome that limitation. I've never seen one in operation but I thought I pass the info on. Good luck with your project.

The coolbot works great. We made our own coolbot attached it to a window air conditioner and made a cooler out of plywood and 2" insulation. Works great. Plan to build a new shed this summer with half of it into a walk in cooler instead of a stand alone unit in the garage. The unit worked great though this year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts