The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start it off...I'm bringing fried squirrels, biscuits, gravy, stewed okra & greens. Good luck out there!

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
We are having Italian sausage on Friday and I am making bear roast with loridr’s recipe for Saturday and smoked brisket on Sunday, and leftovers on Monday! It’s going to be a good weekend!!!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I do miss my days at camp and the "camp meals". We always did spaghetti, hot Italian sausage, and garlic bread the night before the opener. Opening night was stew.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stewed Okra...interesting. I've only had Okra a handful of times, and I've enjoyed it, but I've never made it before. How'd that turn out?
Very good, I've had it in the south before, it tasted just like what I'd been served.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where does one find fresh okra right now? I have no idea where to even look!
I see it from time to time at Jim & Ralphs in Collegeville in the summer, and the International Market in Jeffersonville has it fresh most of the year. Ethnic markets & even Giant carry it sometimes frozen, I've used it before and it's a decent substitute from fresh.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what is Okra, don`t believe I ever had any and what does it taste like?
It grows best in very hot climates, it's a main ingredient in gumbo. Looks like a pepper almost, but doesn't taste like a pepper. I've had it fried, pickled, & stewed before as a vegetable, all are excellent. It's a little slimy when you boil it, some people are turned off by that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okra

1 - 13 of 13 Posts