The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats everyones fav deer bullet. I shoot either nosler accubonds or win power points.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The first bullet I always try is Sierra Game Kings or Pro Hunter bullets. The next I try is Nosler Ballistic Tips. If I can not get one of these three to fly accurately then I look for other problems. I think I get the best bang for the buck from the Sierra's. The Nosler's are a bit more expensive.

I see no need what so ever for the custom bullets for deer. Just not needed if you hunt with an adequate cartridge to start with. Tom.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot i use coreloks to out of the 30 30. but i dont handload and they dont load them in 7wsm.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
If I don't have the old pre-BT Nosler Solid Base in the caliber-weight I'll use the Sierra PH or GKs.

Bill

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Remington copper jacketed flat point.(44-40)

Winchester soft point.(7.62x54R)

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've always had good luck with Rem. Core-Lokt's & Hornady Interlocks for deer. Don't know if a premium bullet is necessary. I remember years ago trying Nosler Partitions in my 6MM and getting less than spectacular accuracy. Speer's, Hornady's and Sierra's seemed to shoot better in that rifle at the time. That was close to 30 years ago though, maybe they're better today?

Is the hype founded with some of these premium bullets today? I read everywhere that Accubonds are the rage. Are they worth the extra price, for thin-skinned game like deer? I would be interested to know.

·
Registered
513 Posts
All I shoot are ballistic tips. For chucks I use core locks. I have ballistic tips in all of my cals....243,270,30-06 35 rem,30-30 and so on.I have never lost an animal I had shot and I never had one run more than 30 yards. Thats why I stick to them.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Remington Core-Lokt or Hornady Interlock are the bullets I almost always go to for deer loads in pretty much any caliber. 110gr Accubond's in 25 cal do a great job around 2800fps too. I simply don't shoot many deer past 200 yards(two in my life) so a round nose bullet almost always gets the assignment as well.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Hornady 165 grain Interbonds in my 06 and Norma Oryx 156 GR in my 6.5 Swede

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
150 grain Interlocks or Corelokts. Shooting em through the shoulder and dropping them on the spot. Never had to track one.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Loggy said:
Hornady 165 grain Interbonds in my 06 and Norma Oryx 156 GR in my 6.5 Swede
Loggy, hows the Oryx working for you? I was going to order them off the internet, because I can't find any around me.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
BrownTrout...I ordered on net. Hard to find US mfg factory rounds loaded to the Swedes optimum. The Norma's are very accurate premium bullets.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Thanks. I just wanted to know if they were any good and worth the price. I'm ordering some today.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
You will be pleased. When I bought my CZ 550FS 6.5X55 last year did a lot of research on what the best factory ammo is & concluded Norma had em all beat hands down. i dont do enuff cf shooting to reload

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Hornady SST's or the plain Hornady interlocks - in all of my deer handloads. 350 gr. Hornady flat points in the 45-70

If I use factory loads, usually corelokts

1 - 20 of 31 Posts