The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has used deer breaking scents and whether or not they work. Just got a bottle of Hawbaker's, but haven't used it with the beagle yet.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I've read that unless a hound is really dumb, it only takes once or twice with a shock collar.

I will soon see.

I can vouch that running them down and tanning there hide like in the old days is not nearly as effective.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
never had the scent work as in bottled scent. i have had luck with using hock glands and settling up "situations" for young dogs. mouse traps for pups.....rat traps for bigger dogs. then a time or 2 with a shock collar and they are good util they get bored or you run them with the wrong dog. they all need a tune up now and then. well most anyway.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
our coon dogs are broke off deer scent before they know what a deer is....

we hang glands on the electric fence around the farm...when they are running free they eventually find it...sniff it..and never wanna sniff it again....

if we have one that wants to run a deer by sight they get an e-collar and turned loose on deer in a field..if they run them they get educated...typically only takes once if you do it right..

ive never seen any results from bottled scent..whether its training or breaking...live critter is always best IMO...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts