The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody make their deer bologna in a smoker? i wanted to try it this year but was hoping for some pointers. How long does it take and anybody have any good recipes. anything i should watch out for? thanks

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
i did it two years ago. i think the oven is less work and to be honest its not really that much of a difference in taste unless its bland. the only benefit is cleanup. also, unless you have some amazing setup the temp can be hard to control. mine finished the first time in 2 hours which seems really fast considering it takes about 6 in the oven. just keep your eyes on the internal temp of the bologna or youll end up with a cooked sausage.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
lee1313 said:
anybody make their deer bologna in a smoker? i wanted to try it this year but was hoping for some pointers. How long does it take and anybody have any good recipes. anything i should watch out for? thanks
I do mine in my Smoker...I've tried the oven deal and feel it is nothing but a mess and makes it that you can not use the oven for many hours until the Bologna is done...You can not get the oven temp down to 140 to start out and then slowly increase the temp to 180!

I use Con-Yeagers Bologna Kits...Trail Bologna, Summer Suasage and Regular Bologna kits...

Normally takes 12 hours from the time you place the bologna in the smoker till it hits 156 degrees internal temp of bologna...USE a Probe Thermometor in 1 of the bologna links..

Start your heat out at around 140...Follow the Directions on Con-Yeagers Kits...you bump the temp up so much every few hours until you get the temp of the smoker to 180...

Use 1 cup of water and half cup of veggie oil for the con-yeager kits where it states 1.5 cups of water... the half cup of veggie oil helps to keep deer bologna from drying out and you have STRAIGHT Deer bologna and not half beef or half pork with half deer meat... everyone I have given this bologna too perfers it over the stuff that has beef or pork added to the deer meat!

GO SLOW!!!! Start out low and slowly increase your temp as the package directions say to do..

If you follow the directions on the package, you will have no problem with coming out with very good bologna in the end...Rush it and your going to have wasted meat!

·
Registered
176 Posts

about 5 hrs for the snack sticks and 11 hrs for the bologna\
this is done in a home made wooden smoke house 6 ft tall
and 4x4 square. I use charcoal for heat then apple, cherry, oak, and hickory wood. To finish it off to temp I use a electric heat element from a old electric smoker. I place my charcoal and wood in a old stainless tub from a washing machine.

times differ due to outside temps. I use a thermometer for the inside temp. of the smoke house and another inserted into the meat. Both with outside digital readout.
con yeager spice mixes also the way to go

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input guys, i printed out this page and im gonna try a con yeager kit, really appreciate it

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
WWD you always amaze me thank you my friend. I'm printing this page as well. I don't a smoker I have a actual smoker house ( 22' x15') I'm looking for new stuff to try

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Another vote for con yeager. I like to add 10% beef fat rather than the veg oil though. I also like the flavor of the smoked vs. done in the oven but both are good. I think one key is to make sure you double grind it. Makes a very tight stick.

Try mixing in a few diced jalapeno peppers and some diced cheddar cheese...very good.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've had great results with off of Bologna the kits from Cabelas.
Follow the directions that coemwith the kits and you cant go wrong. Put me down for smoker over oven also.

·
Registered
423 Posts
we use the hi montain kits and cabelas kits, after stuffing we cold smoke for about 4 hours and then get them up to temperature in the oven.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I used a recipe i got off here. I smoked it in a electric cooker for 4 hrs @ 180 degrees. It was real good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts