The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new 300 win mag and trying to decide what bullets to try. Looking for one bullet to use for deer and bear. Thanks for any imput I will be using factory ammo for now.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Any good 180 grain loading will work on any whitetail and the vast majority of shots on bear.

For the odd shot that you may have to drive deep from a bad angle, the 180 gr. Nosler Partition, Barnes X or other controlled expansion bullet will fit the bill nicely.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
For deer I use a 150 gr Sierra Gameking. Shoots great at longer ranges on the gas line that I hunt. General drops deer on the spot or within a few yards. Never went for bear, but with the damage it does to deer even at longer ranges (over 300yards)I would think it would anchor a bear.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I would look at the 150 grain Nosler Accubond for deer/bear. Excellent bullets. I think Federal makes ammo using the Accubond. Next on my list would be the Federal classic ammo in the blue box in a 150 grain bullet.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I like Federal factory ammo so I would start with 180 grain Nosler partition or accubond or the Federal 180 grain Trophy Tip

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I have loaded Hornady 180 bt's and also 165 bt's and would never feel that they were not enough for any deer or black bear around.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use hornady sst in my .338. Cheap and group well. 200 gr is the smallest i can get. You didn't mention what kind of bear. Black bear you can use same as deer. Griz or big bear, you might want some more weight behind it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Just about any bullet in the 180 to 200 grain range will do what you want. It's really a matter of personal preferance. Buy what you like and it will do the job well.

·
Banned
462 Posts
Federal blue box 150 or 180's for $19.99 at walmart would be more than enough for deer and about any shot/bear your going to encounter here in PA. I know of a couple friends who shoot these out of their 300 with great success, I have yet to find any factory ammo more affordable for the 300 win mag.

If your hunting big bears or want a deeper penetrating bullet I shoot federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 180's out of my model 70 and got my latest batch of them for $39.99 at Dicks on sale a couple months back; they were $69.99 across street at gander at same time!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the imput so far. I always had good luck with 180gr win power points on deer out of my 06. Just worried a soft point will blow up at close range on a bear. I would like to shot a premium bullet but with most pushing 70 bucks a box thats a little steep. I still have to get a scope for it so I got time to explore diffrent loads to try.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
One bullet for Deer and Black Bear? I would choose either a Nosler 180 gr. Accubond or Partition.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
I would not worry about those power points. On my first trip to Newfoundland I used 180 grain power points in my. 300 win mag and shot a moose caribou and bear withthat load with no blowups.

·
Registered
125 Posts
180gr Nosler Accubond. Great bullet for deer and would assume bear. I had very good results on my Canadian whitetail weighed over 300lbs 360yd shot dropped it in its tracks! Shot the deer facing straight on slight angle bullet penetrated to rear inner hind quarter found bullet there. As far as bear have yet to shot one so no input but I would say no problem for this bonded bullet!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have lots of exp with mine I have a browning a-bolt the best I e used are the fed prem with 180gr nosler part just make sure you have a good shot or else you will loose a lot of meat but the deer will not go far

·
Banned
139 Posts
Most 180 grain bullets will work great. Don't use less than a 180 (unless controlled expansion) because the wound and meat loss will be grievous.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Deuce280 said:
165 gr Hornady SSTs.... they put the hurtin' on whatever they hit! Accurate as can be to boot!

Yeah, you can stick your head into the exit wound and look around.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I shoot 168 gr, reloads with the Barnes TSX. Bought the rifle last year, and it has 2 deer and 1 bear to its credit.All animals dropped in their tracks, with MINIMAL meat loss.

·
Banned
139 Posts
25ftup said:
I shoot 168 gr, reloads with the Barnes TSX. Bought the rifle last year, and it has 2 deer and 1 bear to its credit.All animals dropped in their tracks, with MINIMAL meat loss.

TSX is a whole different animal. I don't use them because I've heard too many reports that they penetrate like all get out but don't dump enough shock for a true magnum kill.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts