The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While deboning a doe I shot last year,I ran into trouble with the one hind quarter.We save our carcases and make scrapple.Finally got around to making it this week and here is the bone I had trouble with.Normal bone is on the bottom.It had lots of spures,bumps and spikes.Looks like it broke,rode up on top,and healed that way.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I'm sure that was painful for a while, but that's impressive! Thanks for sharing the pics.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Wow! They are survivors. A friend killed a large 8 point years ago at my place that had two "baseball" like knobs on the lower hind legs. Our best guess was a bullet from the year before passed through both, and the knobs were the subsequent bone growth. He had no trouble running, thats for sure.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will post instructions in game recipes.

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
FoxSquirrelHMR17 said:
How do you make scrapple?? I have had store bought scrapple but deer scrapple sounds amaazing!!!
Making deer scrapple is what turned me off to it be prepared to stir

·
Premium Member
24,167 Posts
I shot a deer once that had half of its rear hoof missing as in one of the toes

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
My brother shot a 6 pointer many years ago that had a slight limp. When we skinned him he had a broadhead in his spine. It was all healed up and had skin growing over it BUT I am sure his limp was from chronic back pain and arthritis!!
They are tough animals!!
Dave

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Years ago, more than I really care to remember I killed a yearling Doe that had a chunk of flesh as big or bigger than my hand missing from her right hind quarter. The wound had completely healed over with scar tissue. Upon further investigation I found the tip to a Rem. Bronze Point bullet imbedded in the scar tissue. She had apparently been shot the year before as a Fawn and showed NO outward signs whatsoever. She did not even limp! Amazing.

·
Super Moderator
29,164 Posts
I know of a couple people that shot deer that had parts of a leg shot off the year (or more) before. They all told of how the deer was walking and running normally before they shot them. Wildlife survival instincts are incredible.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i had a doe that lived in the vicinity of my house that must have been shot in the front leg and it healed up so that the front leg touch the ground she had 2 healthy fawns a year and last year she disappeared no one around knows where she went? but was a true sign of a deer will to survive!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Animals need to be tough to live in the woods when you think about all they have to deal with to survive. People talk about how deer aren't tough to kill, and maybe not with well placed shots....but as shown above. I have a lot of respect for them for their ability to live in the woods and keep going when some bad stuff happens, that a human probably wouldn't survive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I shot a button buck a couple years ago and both his rear legs were broken below the hock. Maybe he got hit by a car. But the broken parts of the legs were still hanging by the skin, cartilage and other material that remained. He was just hopping around on those stumps.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I shot a big mature doe that was missing about 8 inches off her front leg. It healed over and had a slight ball like end on it. She had a limp but it didn't seem to slow her down at all.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I had a doe in my back yard that was either hit by a car or someone shot her in the back legs. Her hind end was lower than the front when she would walk. The next spring she had twins and was still walking that way. Not alot of predators around that part of town. I have since moved so I am not sure if she is still around or not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts