The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hunt deer and bear this fall in Pennsylvania in an area where I wouldn't see any other (or very few) hunters, and a place where I'd have a decent chance at being successful. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Philadelphia Co.

·
Super Moderator
13,779 Posts
Little Bear said:
I'd like to hunt deer and bear this fall in Pennsylvania in an area where I wouldn't see any other (or very few) hunters, and a place where I'd have a decent chance at being successful. Any suggestions?
There are plenty of places up here in the big woods of the northern tier where you can hunt on public land and see darn few hunters, even on the opening day, and have a good chance of seeing a bear or legal deer.

If you are willing to get a ways from the parking lots you have a good chance of having the area all to your self. Last fall on the opening day of bear I walked in about three-quarters of mile and never saw another hunter all day. On the opening day of buck I was in just under a mile and never saw another hunter while in the woods or even on the way out with my buck.

All of that was on the state game lands.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Success takes work.Asking for spots is not going to get you success.Get out there with boots on the ground and find a spot.Game commission website has gameland maps.Look them over and find places far away from parking areas and you WILL be all alone.getting your animal out will be the problem.Get out after a snow and see where the deer like to be from tracks.With bear, your probably better off hunting where there is pressure to move the bears,imo

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
If you want to hunt away from the "orange army" I have a public spot in 3D I would be willing to share. It's not for folks that are afraid of traveling over a mile from the road uphill.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Elk County is a top spot for getting away from "the pumpkin army."

TR

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Got to ask a domb question. What do you guys consider "the big woods" I hunt southern Pa and only been as far as state college in rescent years.

·
Super Moderator
13,779 Posts
outofstater said:
Got to ask a domb question. What do you guys consider "the big woods" I hunt southern Pa and only been as far as state college in rescent years.
What I call the big woods are the units where 90% or more of the units is forested. There are actually only two units that meet those criteria, 2F and 2G.

I guess you could perhaps add unit 3D at over 80% and maybe even 2E and 3A since they are over 75% forested to the big woods.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Clinton County is called the Big Woods County.....Best spot to hunt might be SGL 100....bet Snowshoe and Renova......and combined with Sproul State Forest......

·
Registered
473 Posts
Plenty of places where you can be close to the road and not see anybody either. Look for areas with easy access to a fairly flat top, and a very steep backside(provided there is a road at the bottom). I've hunted these types of spots for years only a couple hundred yards off the road and hardly ever see anyone. Just have to be willing to make the climb in the morning.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The Big Woods certainly have plenty of bear. It takes a lot of fall scouting as they move to where the food is. You may see them in one area all summer, but when frost comes and they go over to hard mast, you have to find it and them.

There are very nice buck in the Big Woods, not as many deer as many of us would prefer. Certainly plenty of places to get back in with few hunters. Hameersly Wilderness Area for one. I actually saw some out of staters set up there western style last buck season. Tents and horses, no idea how they made out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts