The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to camp to get a cat and the snow chased me out of the county. Is the snow hindering everyone elses catin ?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Hindering tracks from being laid here. Soon it will be On again. Sometimes being a patient trapper means waiting on the weather.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Same as Kip here. Dug out and relured my "walking" cat line yesterday afternoon. Ankle deep in most areas, drifts up to my waist in others. I have a few set under hemlock cover where the snow is only a few inches deep, and other sets under overhanging rocks with no snow. The only fresh sign was that from porkies. The deer, cats, and everything else seem to be laying low.... With the cold nights coming, and the snow staying; I beleive things will change and game will have to start to move (they are wild animals that deal with these conditions for months out of the year). The weather is making it challenging for me, trapn out of a two wheel drive truck, kayaking an ever-closing iced river, and walking two miles round trip.... Embrace the good with the bad. It will make some awesome catch pictures if I do hook up with one! Be safe, your taps will be patient! Good luck!!

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Not cat trapping, but has made me pull a portion of my k9 line. We have an organized network of snowmobile trails here (complete with stop signs, arrows, the whole nine yards) and of course they run through a couple of my farms and through the exact locations of my sets. (in 2 farms I had 7 traps that I dug out that were under the packed sled trail).

The other problem is I have to walk a significant portion of my line and yesterday I pulled a small otter sled while wading across about 600 yards of drifted across fields. The farmers don't open the lanes because with their tractors, they don't need to. Snow was as much as thigh deep. I can't run a line on foot like that. So, time to pull and reset where it's more manageable.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I only have 6 sets out that were freshened up before the last 6 inches fell and drifted over. Checking with binos. Rework and add tomorrow..... I don't know how much snow we really got but its more than I wanted.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I cancelled my Beaver/Bobcat/Coyote trapping trip to camp because of 16" of snow on the ground and more on the way.

Because of the deep snow, there is very limited or no access to the 3,500 acre timber company lease I normally trap.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Renny, now I see how you keep her interested?? Cute pic LOL I pulled all my traps except a few hay sets behind the house. The long walk in the snow was getting old quick.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Put me out of commission. I just located the remainder of my traps this morning with a metal detector.... good gadget to have when ma nature decides to crap on your line. This time of year is tough having to deal with the elements, I'm hoping for a break in the weather before season ends to be able to get a small line back in...

I just got the new gun light mounted today, dug out the mouth calls and put new batteries in the caller. There's just something about January nights, cold temps and snow that make me walk about the fields at god awful hours making death squals. All dead piles I've been by the last few days are being worked hard right now..... I have a few that have been placed for snaring (CRs) but can't get into with a vehicle. Sounds like a good place to ring in the New Year with my hunting buddy. He has never killed a PA coyote and is chomping at the bit. Have a safe enjoyable night guys.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
all my spots were on unplowed roads no go, and just to get pulled off the edge of the plowed road was ruff.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Just got home from Benezett and we got sets out day after Christmas. Got about 8 inches onto overnite. Relured and reset 2 days later. Nothing but porkies moved until lastnight. Some yotes moved through. Guess the trap thieves were out also. My trapping partner got 2 stolen. We had a good crossing set pretty hard with a trail cam over them ans we got pics of the thieves. Anyone in Benezett that might know them I can send you pics or them. Pm me.

·
Registered
611 Posts
wardog said:
Put me out of commission. I just located the remainder of my traps this morning with a metal detector.... good gadget to have when ma nature decides to crap on your line.
I could have really used one of those today. Pulled all but one today......back out tomorrow for another look.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Shooter X said:
wardog said:
Put me out of commission. I just located the remainder of my traps this morning with a metal detector.... good gadget to have when ma nature decides to crap on your line.
I could have really used one of those today. Pulled all but one today......back out tomorrow for another look.
Funny this came up. I pulled all my land sets today.. Ended up going to my dad's and borrowing his metal detector.. What a lifesaver!! Write that down for future reference.... Some of those traps would've been there til spring without it. (and I'd have still had to take a look in that corner of the field every morning just in case).. Either my memory is getting bad or somebody relocated my sets on me before the snow...

·
Registered
2,552 Posts

there is a mb550 along the tracks,just missed!

they seem to like the 4wheeler trail,lots of cables are now guarding it!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Lugnut said:
I cancelled my Beaver/Bobcat/Coyote trapping trip to camp because of 16" of snow on the ground and more on the way.

Because of the deep snow, there is very limited or no access to the 3,500 acre timber company lease I normally trap.
I wish I would have.

Heres dad as I made a man made cubby.

Heres us coming down out of the lease. Had 2 trees down - luckily they didnt require a chainsaw or the winch.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
LOL...didn't anybody tell you there was a blizzard coming?

That top pic looks a little like my camp must look right now.

Where you at in Potter? Send a PM if you'd like.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts