The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to deep fry wings, shrimp, fries, really anything - I currently utilize this cheap fryer from Bass Pro. Cheap Fryer Link

The pot has started to warp in shape, the stand as well as the pot have turned a black color on the outside almost like they are charred and full of soot, if you touch either your hands are instantly black - the finish is flaking off too. The thing is a mess! It's also a bear to change the oil. Basically the only thing that isn't a mess is the basket itself.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a deep fryer without breaking the bank? Ideally I'd like something that doesn't get filthy on the outside so that I'm able to move it to and from the garage without having to go take a shower afterword. I'd also like something that may be a bit easier to change the oil after each session.

Would cast iron be the way to go? Here is a cast iron pot but the base is still the cheap base I have now so I have no doubt I'll have the same issue with this one.
Bass Pro Cast Iron Fryer

Whats everyone else use?

Thanks!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Your air to gas mix needs adjusted, your burner is starving for air and you are making soot. If you have your owner's manual, check to see if there is a section on the gas air mix. I would bet you have a yellow flame instead of blue. Your pot is too thin and can't take the heat so it warped.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply, John. You are correct the flame is yellow - I'll have to see if I can find a manual online since I no doubt threw it out with the box the day I brought it home. I figured the pot was too thin, it seems quite flimsy.

So ... John, what do you use?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't deepfry outdoors but I do steam crabs and shrimp. I use an old 3 ring plumbers burner monted on a frame and a beer half keg with the top cut off with a stainless steel lid welded on with a hinge. The principle of all burners is the same though, a good gas air mixture for a hot clean burning flame. Mine has openings on the gas supply tubes to the burners with covers that move to make the openings larger or smaller and held in adjustment by tightening a screw.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
keystoneMAN 85 said:
So ... John, what do you use?
I'm not John, but sounds like you need one of those HEAVY aluminum stockpots. You can probably pick one up cheaply at a restaurant auction or restaurant supply store, or online, I think new would be around $40 or $50. A good one should last the rest of your lifetime.

If you're getting soot on the bottom of the pot, the flame is not burning correctly (as mentioned, a yellow or orange flame), I've seen this happen even on restaurant stoves. Sounds like you need to upgrade or repair the fuel/heat source. The good news is that the soot can be washed off with soap, water, & a little elbow grease.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I don't use aluminum ANYTHING in the kitchen as you never know if your wife might like to cook something acidic in it. Jambalaya comes to mind with a big stock pot like this. For me, it's stainless or bust. Just sayin.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
jayd4wg said:
I don't use aluminum ANYTHING in the kitchen as you never know if your wife might like to cook something acidic in it. Jambalaya comes to mind with a big stock pot like this. For me, it's stainless or bust. Just sayin.
For inside the house, I'd agree.
For cooking outside, especially deep frying, I don't think stainless will cut it. Not heavy enough, and doesn't hold the heat as well, especially for a prolonged cooking period.
I can't picture my wife emptying and cleaning a stock pot full of lard from out in the garage just to make a pot of spaghetti sauce. I do picture her buying a few jars of Ragu instead, LOL.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pot is aluminum. No doubt cheap aluminum.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
keystoneMAN 85 said:
The pot is aluminum. No doubt cheap aluminum.
Yes, the Bass Pro setup looks chincy. I'm thinking of the heavy stock pot type of pans like they use in about 90% of restaurants, they're practically indestructible. Cast iron would be even better, but can you find a cast iron pot deep enough to do fries or deep fry a turkey in?

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll have to check the local restaurant supply shop. Thanks for the feedback. I'll prob end up with a heavy stock pot and a cast iron pan. Now I got to try to either clean up my base and figure out the gas/air thing or look for a new fuel source and stand.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Cast iron is the way to go. We regularly do wings at camp. We had two burners going, one with a stainless pot ,the other with cast. I could do three batches of wings in the cast to one in the stainless. It just holds heat better, and recovers much quicker when you first put the wings into the oil.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you could find it, you couldn't lift it on to the burner.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
keystoneMAN 85 said:
Now I got to try to either clean up my base and figure out the gas/air thing or look for a new fuel source and stand.
keystoneman,

Your air to gas mixture Control is where the hose comeing from the LP Tank connects to that big round "Converter"

You should see 2 slot openings on it, the nice shiney piece that is on that "Converter"

It should turn so that you can make the slots open wider....what you need to do is make sure that piece is not tightened down to tight, if it is not tightened down to tight, fire up the burner and with no pot on the base, adjust that shiney piece so the slots are either opened wider or closed more...you will see the flame change colors...

I have the cheap frier from Gander Mountain, almost looks the same as your's in the picture...My Adjustment thing has to be fully open to have the correct gas to air mixture!

Once you find the correct spot of the openings, leave it at that, it should not need adjust ever again!

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Woodywoodduck said:
keystoneMAN 85 said:
Now I got to try to either clean up my base and figure out the gas/air thing or look for a new fuel source and stand.
keystoneman,

Your air to gas mixture Control is where the hose comeing from the LP Tank connects to that big round "Converter"

You should see 2 slot openings on it, the nice shiney piece that is on that "Converter"

It should turn so that you can make the slots open wider....what you need to do is make sure that piece is not tightened down to tight, if it is not tightened down to tight, fire up the burner and with no pot on the base, adjust that shiney piece so the slots are either opened wider or closed more...you will see the flame change colors...

I have the cheap frier from Gander Mountain, almost looks the same as your's in the picture...My Adjustment thing has to be fully open to have the correct gas to air mixture!

Once you find the correct spot of the openings, leave it at that, it should not need adjust ever again!
Thanks buddy, I'll give it a go this weekend!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts