The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and couldn't find a thread so if there is one please humor me. I'm looking for opinions on Deep cycle marine batteries and I'm wondering what everyone is using and has had good luck with (longevity). I'm currently running Interstate but don't know if the higher or lower cost models work as well.
From a use standpoint I use my boat on a once a month basis during the summer and several times a week during winter (waterfowl hunting). I need a new cranking battery and a new trolling motor battery.
Your thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I use Deka deep cycle marine batteries for a lot of my telemetry equipment. It's not the same use as you are, but I'm really running these batteries though the ringer at times. Can't say I've had a problem with them. Most of the batteries I'm using are 800cca or higher. I have used interstate and had them not last as long.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ACE. I did a quick search and couldn't find a local dealer, did you order your's and have it shipped? Who's their distributor?

·
Super Moderator
4,542 Posts
walmart everstart maxx group 29...2 year free replacement and there is always a walmart close by.

sams club duracells

sears pm-1

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I purchased (a large amount) them at Long Level Marina in Long Level. If you don't know where Long Level is just ask and I'll shoot you directions.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
A bit far for you but, they sell them at the plant near Bowers, Pa.(maybe you could combine it with a Cabelas trek, not sure of hours)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Mine are group 27 gel cells that I bought at Bass Pro 6 years ago. I put them inside my console and keep them charge at all times. I get a full day of drift control fishing the ICW in coastal VA out of the pair and they show no signs of giving up yet.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have two boats, both have 3 batteries (1 for cranking and 2 for 24v trolling motors).
I've been mainly using Interstate batteries (24 and 27 series) for the past 10 years and they have always held up well. Last year I decided to try the Everstart 27 series and so far they have held up well.

As with any deep cycle battery, the key to maintaining longevity is always charging it after use and making sure it's properly hydrated, if its that style of battery.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
I have 4 Exide MC-31 MEGACYCLE AGM-200 marine battery on the boat and they are great.
I never worry about running my electronics, including radar and halogen docking lights when fishing and never worry about how much rain we get during the week and finding the bilge pumps drained the battery's down.
Bad thing is they weigh about 75 [email protected]
Well worth the money knowing there is plenty of power when you want it.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
ACEarcher said:
I use Deka deep cycle marine batteries for a lot of my telemetry equipment. It's not the same use as you are, but I'm really running these batteries though the ringer at times. Can't say I've had a problem with them. Most of the batteries I'm using are 800cca or higher. I have used interstate and had them not last as long.
I second the deka. I use the DC27's Heavy duty deep cycle marine batteries. Ive got two thats running my trolling motor now that i puchased back in 2011 and theyre still running strong. Im hoping to get another year or two out of them. Interstate are good as well. I think they're a little more expensive though. I keep mine inside over the winter on a piece of wood and charge them up periodically. I keep the terminals clean and top off the batteries with distilled water if needed.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
We use deep cycle marine batteries on our Lincoln Traps. 50 batteries on the 2 courses, 8 on the 5-Stand and another 40 on Deltran chargers ready to change over. We also have solar panels on the course and they help keep the batteries "warm". Deka make a good battery. I'd go right to their plant and get factory seconds for much cheaper than in the stores. At $80-$90 a battery, seconds are a good choice!! Deka makes batteries for NAPA, so if you buy there you're still getting the same thing.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have always been told by boat mechanics to use deep cycle to run electronics and a good regular battery for starting.

·
Super Moderator
4,542 Posts
Alot of guys run their electronics, lights, and accessories off of their starting battery, and their trolling motor off of a different battery.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I run my electronics of my cranking battery, and have 2 deep cells for the trolling motor. My cranking battery is a interstate, and the deep cells are Everstart group 29's.. For the price of the deep cell batteries I'm not expecting 5 years out of them, anything over 3 I'll be happy, but I couldn't justify spending 2-3 times what they were, with no guarantee they'll last any longer.. I run my electronics (2 depth finders, lights, etc.) off of my cranking battery. I've always been told that running that stuff off one of the batteries in a series can shorten the life of the one battery do to the uneven draw

1 - 18 of 18 Posts