The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to break down and buy a new decoy. Any opinions on best decoy for the money ?

Reactions: mad4268

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
The best for the money is the $9.97 ones at Walmart. I have been using them with great success for many years. They are durable, easy to carry and easy to set up.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I have a couple of Sceery 2nd Generatoin inflatable decoys, they are so realistic a gobbler even thinks their real. They go for about 15.00 each. I even have them named....Bernice and Betty..... they have seduced quite a few horney gobblers so far.....

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Depends on how much you want to spend and carry method in the woods. I have Avians but I never take em or use them. I like to run and gun and that is more stuff to tote in the woods.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Those Avian X decoys are very realistic. I don't use decoys to hunt but, I do mess with my Toms' with them. Set up a spread after dark 60-70 yds away from the pen and they will wake me up at first light with Thunder.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
DSD...not cheap but they look about as real as anything you can buy. And whatever you do, put a real turkey fan in the strutter decoy.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I hunt 75% fields, so decoys help immensely. The foamies do work if you want to go cheaper, but I've never seen turkeys react to them like they do with the more expensive, lifelike decoys. I usually carry an Avian X feeder hen, and the Dakota jake. The Dakota is a hard shell, which I prefer over the Avian X since there's a good possibility that it may catch a pellet or two. Of the seven birds that decoy has accounted for, it's taken pellets four times.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I also use a Jake Avian and the first time I used it 3 jakes attacked it that my buddy filmed. He then bought a hen Avian and we killed several toms as a duo in the past few years.

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
The best for the money is the $9.97 ones at Walmart. I have been using them with great success for many years. They are durable, easy to carry and easy to set up.
Same here!

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
I got a mailer from Bass Pro Shops Cabela's listing foam turkey decoys for 9.97 or you can spend $149 for an Avian-X HDR Jake Decoy. My guess your results would be the same, but you might lose some style points.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Avian-X decoys are bulky to carry but I think they're right there with the best.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I got a mailer from Bass Pro Shops Cabela's listing foam turkey decoys for 9.97 or you can spend $149 for an Avian-X HDR Jake Decoy. My guess your results would be the same, but you might lose some style points.
Maybe the birds I hunt are just a little more wary or smarter or educated...but I've noticed better results when I use more realistic looking decoys. If I didn't really believe it, I'd just sell the expensive decoys and go back to cheap ones. Everyone's mileage may vary.

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
Mileage you say? The cheap decoys have provided 1 to 2 mature gobblers in MO every year for over seven years, two in the 26 lb. range, one 26 lbs. 6 oz sporting 3 beards 11" 7" & 4 1/2" who rests in my loft. This is from a hunting camp that has been hunted every year for many years by experienced turkey hunters using all kind of calls and decoys.

A mature gobbler 3 years in a row in IN state one setting on top on my $10 hen. Hunting time 3 mornings. 1-2 Mature gobblers a Spring in OH since 2001..... all on public land.

True I have taken mature gobblers without decoys as I my first 3 Spring gobblers were taken in 1972/3/4 on PA game lands before decoys in a total of 4 hunts, others were taken when there was no time/cover to set up on or I thought conditions were good to call in a gobbler with or without decoys. I have had gobblers spot the "Fakes" from 400 yards out and walk right into the deep fryer.

1 to 2 gobblers have come into my decoys in PA and not left on their own accord since I sprang for the first $30 for a set of decoys in the early 90's. Many of these gobblers were on PA state game lands North, North Central, South Central and South Western areas, some on heavy hunted gun clubs and state parks. Actually I think it was more like $10 for 3 in the 90's. Over my cheap decoys I have provide opportunities for others to successfully take mature gobblers.

I do not kill every gobbler in the woods, not every one I hear by any means. I do not profess to be the best turkey hunter alive. I know many excellent turkey hunters in a few states. I do not shoot the many Jakes that often come in sometimes groups of 5 to 7. But I have been "Lucky" enough to take home a lot of tagged birds and I have spent a lot of millage as I love the sport.

I have not scouted for years as I go back to the same places listen then set up and I have many productive places. Some don't get hunted by me for over 5-6 years. If I hear or see other hunters and I am not set up I leave to pursue another challenge elsewhere. Last spring open day in PA I called in a flock of 16 birds with 5 being mature gobblers headed right for my decoys unfortunately a group of 3 deer walking out into my decoy pushing the gobblers not the hens just out of range. However, the next two mornings in a row within 30 minutes after shooting time started I was able to take two mature gobblers as they stood among my decoy spread. I did not hear either of them say..."Looks like a cheap date."

Do I think a particular decoy over another is the way to go...No not necessarily as I believe there is a lot more to decoying mature gobblers than to simply set out a decoy, two or three. Placement of the decoys is a hole another topic to increase continued success.

It would seem the cheap decoys have been very good to me in exposing the mature unwary, dumb and uneducated gobblers into gun range. Perhaps I will never get a smart bird, but I am having a great time.

There are plenty of decoys on the market for hunters to choose from....The question was for opinions for the best decoy for the money and I have placed my $$ on the El cheap-o and I am happy with the results.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Mileage you say? The cheap decoys have provided 1 to 2 mature gobblers in MO every year for over seven years, two in the 26 lb. range, one 26 lbs. 6 oz sporting 3 beards 11" 7" & 4 1/2" who rests in my loft. This is from a hunting camp that has been hunted every year for many years by experienced turkey hunters using all kind of calls and decoys.

A mature gobbler 3 years in a row in IN state one setting on top on my $10 hen. Hunting time 3 mornings. 1-2 Mature gobblers a Spring in OH since 2001..... all on public land.

True I have taken mature gobblers without decoys as I my first 3 Spring gobblers were taken in 1972/3/4 on PA game lands before decoys in a total of 4 hunts, others were taken when there was no time/cover to set up on or I thought conditions were good to call in a gobbler with or without decoys. I have had gobblers spot the "Fakes" from 400 yards out and walk right into the deep fryer.

1 to 2 gobblers have come into my decoys in PA and not left on their own accord since I sprang for the first $30 for a set of decoys in the early 90's. Many of these gobblers were on PA state game lands North, North Central, South Central and South Western areas, some on heavy hunted gun clubs and state parks. Actually I think it was more like $10 for 3 in the 90's. Over my cheap decoys I have provide opportunities for others to successfully take mature gobblers.

I do not kill every gobbler in the woods, not every one I hear by any means. I do not profess to be the best turkey hunter alive. I know many excellent turkey hunters in a few states. I do not shoot the many Jakes that often come in sometimes groups of 5 to 7. But I have been "Lucky" enough to take home a lot of tagged birds and I have spent a lot of millage as I love the sport.

I have not scouted for years as I go back to the same places listen then set up and I have many productive places. Some don't get hunted by me for over 5-6 years. If I hear or see other hunters and I am not set up I leave to pursue another challenge elsewhere. Last spring open day in PA I called in a flock of 16 birds with 5 being mature gobblers headed right for my decoys unfortunately a group of 3 deer walking out into my decoy pushing the gobblers not the hens just out of range. However, the next two mornings in a row within 30 minutes after shooting time started I was able to take two mature gobblers as they stood among my decoy spread. I did not hear either of them say..."Looks like a cheap date."

Do I think a particular decoy over another is the way to go...No not necessarily as I believe there is a lot more to decoying mature gobblers than to simply set out a decoy, two or three. Placement of the decoys is a hole another topic to increase continued success.

It would seem the cheap decoys have been very good to me in exposing the mature unwary, dumb and uneducated gobblers into gun range. Perhaps I will never get a smart bird, but I am having a great time.

There are plenty of decoys on the market for hunters to choose from....The question was for opinions for the best decoy for the money and I have placed my $$ on the El cheap-o and I am happy with the results.

First off I do not know this man. Never meet him in any way.

But what he wrote is spoken by a true turkey hunter that knows his game

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

Not discrediting your success or experiences, but if you've never hunted with taxidermy mounted decoys you really can't make a comparison. They will out perform rubber, plastic, foam or hard shelled decoys every time. I've tried everything and thats just a fact based on results from several different states and killing on average 15 gobblers a year in PA.

https://www.facebook.com/crossbowmagazine/videos/1731069423649656/

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

Sounds like your mileage DOES vary.:jestera:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts