The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a feeding hen and a jake, just wondering on how to set them up....how far from the shooter?...how far apart?...what direction to face them? and is getting a tom a good idea....i was thinking a full strut tom might scare away a younger bird

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Running decoys is a fairly simple affair but the biggest factor in decoying successfully is giving special attention to how real turkeys react to it.

Obviously, turkey only do 3 things this time of year. Breed, Fight and feed. When setting up the hen decoys you want to set it up facing away from you (the gobbler will approach it from the rear and try to mount it causing the gobbler to come closer and face away from you.)

With a jake or gobbler decoy, have it facing you, that way if you get a scrapper, he'll come in and face the decoy or square off on it to initiate a fight.

If you're bowhunting, set the decoys up 5-10 yards from the blind, that way if they hang up, they should still be within effective bow range (obviously works for gun hunting as well).

If you find that the turkey are coming to your calls and skirt your set-up and leave the area, remove the male decoys and just go with hens. Turkeys (By calling and decoys) will always tell you what they like by how they respond.

You can get away with murder with a decoy because most times the turkey are so focused on the decoys they could care less about anything else. I watched Jay Gregory on "The Wild Outdoors" a few nights ago shoot 3 arrows at a gobbler and it never quit messing with his Killer-B decoy. The 1st arrow missed, 2nd arrow hit it in the head (gobbler didnt know it was hit, just saw blood running) and the 3rd arrow took him out.

If you've never read it, heres a write-up I did a few years back. Lots of good info.

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2558251&page=all

·
Banned
1,465 Posts
I am a right handed shooter and keep my decoys at my eleven o'clock about 25yds out. If you are a south paw one o'clock set-up should work. Just helps on less movement when birds are coming in. Sproul

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Couldn't have said it much better then Live2Bowhunt. Just follow those guidelines. I just always try think about how it'd look from the vantage point of a turkey. I always leave a good bit of space between the decoys depending on how I expect the birds to approach the setup so when they do crest the hill or turn the corner they don't just see a ball of black due to the decoys overlapping. If that makes sense

1 - 7 of 7 Posts