The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to decoys, would you prefer a strutting gobbler? or a jake? (Accompanied with a hen decoy) I'm not very big into using decoys and have killed plenty of birds without them, but I am considering to try bowhunting them this year and would like something to try and help get the turkeys attention away from me. I know how tough and spooky these Western PA gobblers can be but I am always up for something new. Thoughts and opinions? Thanks

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I am super adamant about realistic decoys. For me, as of late, I have been having my best success with a jake and standing hen. I plan to utilize a feeding and standing hen this year with the jake as well. All of my decoys are DSD's. I bought the strutter because I had decent success with the original B mobile. Since using the DSD, I feel my success with the strutter has fallen off. Likely because the DSD strutter is so much larger than the B mobile and may act to actually intimidate the average two year old bird. I feel as though my advantage with the B mobile came with the ability to modify the decoy to appear as a strutting jake. By using a real fan from a harvested jake with the middle primary feathers longer and putting about a 4 inch stubby beard on the decoy, it was clear from a distance that this guy had no business strutting around with a hen. Literally had birds come running.

The only time I really use a struter now is later in May when the grass is getting taller, and that is only for visibility, not because I think it is more effective

1 - 2 of 2 Posts