The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I want a light weight, quick handling rifle built in in 35 whelen. This will be my new bear gun. It needs to be light because we put mile after mile on doing drives. It needs to be short and quick handling because of what we drive. Here's where I'm at: I have my grandfather's Czech mauser action rifle in .30/06 or I have one of two pre 64 model 70 Winnies (one standard .270, one featherweight .30/06) to use as a donor action. I've never owned a .35 whelen before. Is this a caliber that can perform well in a short barrel rifle? I don't need sub zero accuracy because after all, its going to be a hunting rifle. What do you guys suggest.

·
Registered
649 Posts
What about a Rem 760 carbine in a '06 ? The whelen doesn't do much the '06 doesn't do, cept kick you harder. The parent case for the whelen is the '06. You could cut and recrown the '06 bbl where you want.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd prefer a bolt rifle. I want the Whelen because I don't have one and I've always thought it was a pretty cool round. I shoot a .45/70 now so recoil really isn't an issue.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You would be better off with a Marlin 45-70 1895 Guide gun model, short, light and accurate.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The 35 Whelen is a sledgehammer. More so on a rifle shorter than 22". The 45-70 will knock down any animal on the continent within it's range. The 35 Whelen was designed as a large game stopper at longer distances than the 35 Rem. Its more at home with 300+yd shots on Elk, Bear, Moose, or Caribou and such. Suitable for whitetails, however damages more meat than the 30-06.

Considering your intentions, I'd flat out go for a 1895G in 45-70 or 450 Marlin, a 444 Marlin, or a 375 Win.

If your hearts set on a compact barrel in 35 Whelen, by all means go for it. However, the noise and recoil will make a 45-70 sound and feel like a 308 Win. IMHO

In terms of which donor, use the Mauser. I would never molest a pre64 M70.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Sounds like a cool prodject, should make a perfect bear rifle. When shooting similiar weight bullets (220/225)the Whelen has a big advantage over the 30-06, plus you can step up in bullet weight. A shorter barrel will usually give you less velocity, but 18" too 20" should be no problem. Remington chambered their pump carbine in it, I think it had a 18" barrel. I am not sure where the other's are getting their info from? But; A Whelen does not have alot of recoil, slightly more then a 30-06 and less then the 45-70. A bolt action can be made as compact and light as a Marlin lever gun. Thats whats nice about custom, its as short and light as you want. And a 35 Whelen will not damage more meat then a 30-06.

There are a few inexpensive ways you could go with the rifles that you plan on using. You could get your existing barrel rebored or Midway sells pre threaded/chambered barrels for the Mauser. Or you could go for a full custom job.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/546547/...=ProductFinding

http://www.35caliber.com/

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
It always amazes me on here when someone comes on and posts what they want to do and then people post why they should do something else...???

To the original question, I would use the Czech Mauser action simply because I consider it a sacrilige to disassemble and rebarrel a pre-64 model 70. If that's what you're going to do, then sell me one of them and you can buy whatever action you want.

I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a load for a 22 or even 20 inch barrel for that Whelen. Excellent bear round.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I should have mentioned I currently have a marlin GG in .45/70. I also have a couple .06's and .270's. I've never owned a custom built rifle before. I was leaning toward using Pap's Mauser for the build just because he was never able to afford a fancy or custom rifle but always appreciate them. It would give me a chance to have a little something of him along when I hunt. I'm going with the 35 whelen just because its always been something I wanted. I admit I don't know a whole lot about the caliber so I was curious how it handled out of a short barrel.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Buckethead said:
I'm going with the 35 whelen just because its always been something I wanted.

There is no better reason to get a 35 Whelen then that!!! The pro's and con's of what is the best gun/cartridge can be debated forever, buy what you want. I have had freinds, family, and sales people question why I would buy a certain gun/cartridge over another many times. Simple answer was because its what I WANTED.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Model 70's and Mauser actions really are not the best route to take when going light. But like Kudu said, if you use one use the Mauser. I don't think you could pick a better bear round.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
A properly bedded light contour 20" barrel on a 98 action in a quality composite stock will fulfill your desires...it will put 3 in an inch at 100 which is great hunting rifle accuracy...I have a proven load for the Whelen that shoots well in several rifles....PM me for it when you get ready to shoot your rifle...Reloder 15 and IMR 4320 are the two powders for the Whelen with 225 gr. bullets...

No need for premium bullets for black bear...I've killed several large deer with the 225 gr. Sierra with minimal meat loss and superb accuracy....

Great, accurate cartridge...

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
My 2 cents. Use the Mauser, take Bobs advice above,you will spend $500 if you do a good trigger/safety.
Option two. If you can digress from the bolt gun, pick up a used Remington pump in 30-06. Send it out to 35 caliber.com
in Oregon with a money order for $225.00
In a few weeks you will get back a 35 Whelen, full functional and tested. The clip is the same, you don't have to change a thing, just load and shoot.
He can shorten the barrel too if you like for a few more bucks, and he is the most easy going guy you will ever deal with.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did some checking with ER Shaw and they don't really offer a light, short barrel in the .35 Whelen. They do offer an 18" barrel in the .358 Winchester, which is another pretty cool round. The whole idea is to go as light and short as possible with this rifle. Can anyone recommend any rifle builders? I'd like to do some comparative shopping.

I think I may have found the scope for it already. I recently bought an El Paso Weaver straight X2.5 with the post and crosshair. I was thinking about putting it on the Featherweight Pre 64 Mod 70 I have to replace the cheap tasco that is on it now but I may keep it for this rifle.

·
Registered
649 Posts
What about getting the Mauser rebored/chambered to 35 whelen if that's whatcha want? Another one to add to the mix is the .338/06. You'd have better bullet selection in .338 too.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reboring wouldn't fit what I wanted with this rifle. The current barrel is too long for what I want. Again, I want something light, with a short barrel in .35 Whelen. I want to make it out of my grandfather's old deer rifle. I'm just looking for some ideas on who would be best to make it happen for me.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
BH Any major barrel maker will hook you up with a light barrel, just purchase it unchambered. The proper conversion of a Mauser action to a fine tuned hunting rifle is expensive and labor intense. Many due it poorly, few do it right. A custom builder will chamber to 35 Whelen, cut and crown the barrel to whatever length you want, etc. Your wallet is the only limit.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I could conceivably have the current .30/06 barrel rechambered, shortened and crowned? The current barrel is pretty long on this rifle but it has a thin taper. It shoots pretty well even with the sloppy military trigger. Until the barrel heats up then it starts throwing shots but I'm sure that has more to do with the stock pinching than anything. My pap bought this rifle mail order for around $60 back in the 50's. Some company took a bunch of old Czech and German mausers and rechambered and rebarreled them to .30/06 and put cheap, ill fitting wooden stocks on them.

·
Registered
649 Posts
After looking up what that Mauser looks like.... i'd leave that to remember your grandad by and collect dust. Nothing about it looks fast handling or light.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The rifle itself is pretty light. (and it kicks like a mule) It just had a long barrel on it. What I want is to use the action for the build, put a short, light barrel on it and a light weight, composite stock. Also, get rid of the blind magazine and incorporate a floor plate or detachable magazine if possible. Maybe I'll try to post some pics of the rifle on here later to give you guys a better idea of what I have to work with. It looks like a sporting rifle. When you look at it you don't think "sporterized military rifle" It doesn't have the old military barrel on it. It had been rechambered and rebarreled in .30/06. The wood stock isn't great, but it isn't horrible either. Its just not fitted properly. The first five or so shots stay w/in an inch but once the barrel heats up, it starts throwing shots so its pinching somewhere. The only thing that would give it away as a former military rifle is the Czech stamp on the ring. That and the awful military trigger you have to pull 1/2" of slack out of before the sear begins to engage. Even the safety is an aftermarket safety and the bolt has been bent.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Grovey, if you can post the pic you found I could tell if its similar.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts