The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal. I had DPs out all last week with no catch and there is coon sign here. I changed bait to a makeral and bacon grease combo with fish oil squirted around the set and still nothing. These are new traps I didn't degrease as I was told it wasn't needed. Should I boil these off and try and reset at a later date. If I leave my fish bacon combo out will it spoil and coon won't eat it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i bought six new dp coon daggers this year an didnt boil them an didnt dye them an i have cuaght my biggest coon to date a week ago, and lost one. by lost i mean it almost broke my 3/32 aircraft cable i used to attach it to a tree an it some how got the clip unscrewed and took the trap. i was not happy to say the least the traps were like 13 bucks a piece but i was more angry about losing the coon i such for a couple hundred yard hoping it got tangled up somewhere nothing. i tightened all the clips on my other traps for extra measure this one must of just been lose. i just put a dry cat food in my dps just enough to come to the trigger no sense in filling it up and feeding the coon then i misted the trap with fish oil and sprayed the area around down with some more fish oil, when rain is comin i put cheap coffee cups i got from the office over them to keep the food from gettin soaked. that is when i got my 3 coons in one day i guess its a really good visual attractant. just leave them out only one of my sets was on signs and that was the smallest i cuaght i placed them where i know coon move through often even without sign. mine were out for about 3 days before i got three in one night and havent had any in them snice im waiting until saturday to move them and reset when i start for rat. good luck

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
this is why i use 1/8" cable on mine.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Catching coon in a dp is about as easy as it gets. Put something they will eat below the trigger and set on sign and its a done deal. No need to prep a dp trap

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
miller that is why I stopped using any clips. I attach my cables right to the j-hook.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i have j hooks that is where i use the heavy duty clips bigger then the ones on my fox sets and even the little one hold my wieght it must of just been loose i usally have to use pliers to loosen them. i like the clips becuase if i cant get a tree where i want the set or if theres only one tree an i wanna set a double i can clip on my stakes an drive them in

·
Registered
161 Posts
I haven't used these traps enough to have much faith in them, unless they are right on a coon trail. They work good for me when that is the case, using a fish paste bait under the trigger or piece of fish speared on the trigger. I went to the trouble to dye and wax them this year, but the first coon shines them right back up anyway.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what has me stumped coons are cake work to catch and I can't seem to hook up on any. It's messing with me

·
Registered
65 Posts
Try using a marshmallow or something else under the trigger, I have been using sheeps wool it holds the lure smell better. I also put a fish oil trail to my trap. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
if your not getting coon in your dps its not the oil. they either moved or you are not in the right spot. i found a well used coon trail coming into a corn field. lots of coon crap on the edge of the field right where the trail went in. first night i got one then after that nothing for a week. then another. now i know 2 coon didn't make all that sign. and since it was a small field and the deer bear coon had it pretty much picked clean i figured they moved. i went across the road to the creek maybe 200 yards away and set 3 sets yesterday. had 2 coon this morning.
try spraying a scent trail of fish oil or fryer grease in an X leading out from your trap too.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's on a creek and the sand along the creek is tracked up and there have been coons scene there. I set about 2 ' off the waters edge and fish oiled around the trap and a long spray up the bank about 10-15 ft. Well see this week

1 - 13 of 13 Posts