The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a decent pair of binos for an elk hunt out west. Any suggestions on good or bad pairs out there

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3-400 if possible...wouldnt mind spending a little more if the increase in quality is worth the increase in price.

Also obviously wouldn't mind going below that price too

·
Registered
288 Posts
Love my new Vortex Diamondback 10x50's got them for $165 on cabelas. They are running that deal now too, as is optics planet, with free shipping

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Numerous GREAT binos in that price range. Zeiss, Steiner, Leupold, Nikon, Vortex. Most all with LIFETIME warranty. Sales all over the net. Size you are looking for is big factor. Vortex tough to beat for the money and great warranty that is fully transferable.
Look into MidwayUSA. Have HUGE selection and good prices.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
+1 on the Diamondbacks. I borrowed a friend's set of Monarchs to take out west last year, then bought the Diamondbacks on Black Friday. The Nikons were good, but they don't hold a candle to the Vortex, IMO.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I bought my dad a pair of Steiner Predator Extremes from optics planet, I got him the 8x42.............they are very impressive glass for the price point that they are at....

·
Registered
20,863 Posts
171farm said:
3-400 if possible...wouldnt mind spending a little more if the increase in quality is worth the increase in price.

Also obviously wouldn't mind going below that price too
You can get something decent in that price range.I'd go some place where you can look through a bunch before making a decision.I have a pair of Leupold wind river cascades that I feel naked without.They were less than $300.I went with them even though I was prepared to pay much more.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Check out rokslide.com, they have a classified section. Might find a good deal on something high quality and lightly used.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Imo there is no better place to buy optics than Camera Land located in NYC.I have bought many scopes and binos off of them.Check out the demo section at times it can have some really good deals in it.most of my puchases have been demo models and i have been 100% satisfied every time

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Camera land is a great place to buy optics from I agree, plus their customer service is great. also look at eurooptic.com right here in Williamsport PA they gave me an amazing price on a pair of Swarovski 12x50 EL's last year. not even Cameraland could touch them. To the OP if you plan on using your binos for long periods of time go with the best you can afford. I would rather save for 2 years and buy one pair of high end binos that I will have the rest of my life and be happy with than buy a mediocre pair and not happy with them. in binos you really do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well the only way to compare optics is to put
them on a tripod side by side on the same day
looking at the same objects. The most expensive
don't always shine much brighter when compared
in that manner. Anything more than 8 power will
be difficult to hand hold for long periods of
glassing. Actually any power is difficult to
hold for long periods. But for anything over 10
get a tripod for long sessions. Cameraland is
an excellent place to buy as mentioned.
Don't overlook Minnox, The 15x56s side by side
with 15x56 Swaros will make the Swaro owner sweat over the difference he paid. Don't hesitate to buy the open box specials. You will
find the box was never opened.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Agree 338/378.years ago i thought that there would be no way that i would own a pair of high end binos.Now i know it was well worth the wait.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Reminds me I have to do my spring eye test on my spotting scope, scopes, and binos.
It is a "my eyes only test" as the savings has far exceeded the recommendations on the internet.
And they all got age on them, so I couldn't recommend one of them on this site or any other.
One good advantage of "my eyes only test".

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you were to go on ebay and the area where binoculars are
listed. Type in (Bausch&Lomb Zepher) then look for a set in
mint or near mint condition. The 7x35s will be the most common and will average in the area of $75/$150. A nice set
of the 8 or 9 power will bring a little more as a rule.
In that era B&L optics were among the very best made anywhere. Good glass isn't a recent thing, its just that now its made in more places.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all of the advice. I haven't even started to window shop yet, wanted some suggestions to go off of first and I'm thankful for what everyone has offered thus far.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts