The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have caught four reds so far and all of them appear blue. All of them caught after 11/15. I really think this mild weather is affecting their pelts. Anyone else still catching blue skinned critters?

·
Registered
932 Posts
You do not base a red fox primeness off the blue color of the leather side. I have seen before on another post the same thing being said. You go by the fur.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Prime fur is based on the amount of daylight. Latitude also has a factor when fur primes. Fur above I-80 will prime first.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
smith101 said:
You do not base a red fox primeness off the blue color of the leather side. I have seen before on another post the same thing being said. You go by the fur.
That's a relief. The most recent one was the most blue of the bunch I've caught.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Phil probably has caught 500 of them by now LOL

I noticed that the red's fur seems flatter down my way, than it should be, and very blue hides on late nov reds. Last one my new trapper buddy bought by was FINALLY decent looking fur wise. I've only done up 6 so far, rest in the freezer. He had 1 he caught first few days of nov that looked like a mid oct pelt- flat flat flat. Then another that was almost as flat, maybe a week later. Coons look normal for what they should be. My coyote has super looking fur. Haven't fleshed it yet to see the blueness. I caught it nov 16.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts