The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to ready for that day so I’m looking for your help. I respect the flintlock hunters and know you guys are very knowledgeable about muzzleloader hunting. I am looking for advice on what bullet to use along with type of powder/load amount to use. I really want to be able to shoot with knock down power 80-100 yrds if possible and I know there are many options. I hear a lot of people like to do it the patch and round ball way but I’m leaning more towards a Sabbot type bullet/ the Hornady Great Plains Bullet style. I’m shooting a .50 cal CVA. Thank You!

·
Registered
205 Posts
In my opinion, you can not beat a Hornady Great Plains bullet. I have had great groups and hunting success with the great plains bullet. With a 385 grain bullet, I shoot 100 grains of powder behind it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No sure Maverick, if you can tell by what it looks like its silver barrel and a synthetic camo stock

·
Registered
205 Posts
The reason I was asking is because some barrel twists are too slow to properly stabilize a sabot, in my opinion. I have had better luck with the great plains bullet out of my Traditions PA Pellet flintlock. I do have a CVA percussion muzzleloader (not for the late season) and that prefers the great plains bullets as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts