The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks,

I just came back from the local country store, getting my hunting licenses for the first time since moving here early in February. Anyway, I wanted to insure I bought my December/January license for the flintlock hunting season but forgot to ask specifically for it. Looking over my licenses, I have one tag that has the title "Antlered or Flintlock Tag" on it.

Question, is this the tag I needed for that specific hunt?

Thanks in advance.

Chaos USMC

P.S. Still searching for my first flintlock if you have one for sale, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
No. You need an additional flintlock muzzleloader license....think they call them privileges now since stamps aren't used. Believe it's $11 or something but could be mistaken.

The antlered/flintlock tag is your buck tag. Shoot a buck in archery, rifle or flintlock and use that tag. If you choose to, you can shoot an antlerless deer anywhere in the state with a flintlock and use that tag on that antlerless deer...but that's Flintlock season only with a Flintlock and have to have the Flintlock add-on...that season traditionally starts Dec. 26th.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Mauser got it, but just to be clear.....you CANNOT shoot an antlerless deer on that tag in the October muzzleloader season. That season is anterless ONLY for muzzleloaders, and you MUST have an anterless tag for the WMU you're hunting. Doesn't matter if you're using a flintlock or not.

For the Flintlock season, which is specifically the season in late December and into January, then you can use the tag for an antlered or antlerless deer anywhere in the state, if using a flintlock (doesn't apply to bowhunters, who have a season then too).

You can just go add the muzzleloader privileges with another trip to the licensing agent. You can add them at any time.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Yes, if you don't get a buck during the regular season, then you can use the tag for either a buck or doe during the flintlock season, BUT only if you have a muzzle loader license first. That tag is not the muzzleloader license.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts