The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard my brother shoot at 704. Just went to check on him and he said it was big doe at 20yds. Found blood at shot site but he said he saw it run a good ways before he lost sight of it so ive decided to wait a bit to follow up. If recovered will be his first flintlock deer on his first flintlock hunt. I missed a big doe at 35yds right after legal shooting light with the crossbow. Hit an unseen twig and bolt went under the deer.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just made the recovery..big doe. He made a great shot on it. Sparse blood for first 35yds or so then it got easy to follow. Deer went about 70yds. Hes thrilled with his first flinter deer and think hes hooked on flintlock hunting! He has another tag and i have several left so we are going to get it skinned and quartered and head back out in afternoon

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
Just made the recovery..big doe. He made a great shot on it. Sparse blood for first 35yds or so then it got easy to follow. Deer went about 70yds. Hes thrilled with his first flinter deer and think hes hooked on flintlock hunting! He has another tag and i have several left so we are going to get it skinned and quartered and head back out in afternoon
Congratulations to your brother for his first flintlock kill. It is a big day for both of you. This could be a banner late season for both of you. Good luck out there, and be safe.

I may get out for an evening hunt, if the furnace fellow doesn't ruin my day!

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Congratulations to Your Brothers first flintlock hunt and success! :thumbs: That will hook them to the dark side every time!>:)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
MUCHO CONGRATS on your brothers first hunk of smoked venison !!!! Well done !!!

My daughter woke up under the weather this morning..... I contemplated not even coming out without her. But I saved my honeyhole for her and went to a different place. Figured if a wall hanger buck came by, I'd have a go. Big doe and a yearling came by at 8:00. They got a pass. Nothing since.....

·
Registered
883 Posts
Congrats to your brother! Well out of 7 total guys only myself and 1 other went out. 5 of the crew did a little too much celebrating last night. I had a lead doe of 3 bust me as I was eyeballing behind me in the pines trying to find the deer that were making noise down in there. As I turned back around there they were at 40 yards and I was pegged. My buddy saw 2 doe but it was still too dark to see his sights. Stayed out til 10. Gonna have some lunch and hit a some different blinds tonight. I think the rest of the guys are taking the day off. Actually I know they are!!! Hamm's Special Light and Black Velvet put a hurting on em!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Ended up staying in all day...………

Saw no less than 25 deer...……….possibly as many as 31. Only one small buck for sure and probably a second. Gave passes to several does.

Called 3 jakes in with my mouth. The one gobbled and was running around in full strut like a doofus !!!

GREAT day to be alive and breathing woods air !!!!

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Figures. I shot a small 6 second to last day of rifle. Went out tonight at 3 and at 4:30 saw 2 complete monsters and a small 8 all together. 2 doe were with them but they stayed in the pines and wouldnt give me a clean shot. Oh well heading to camp tomorrow to try for some DMAP doe.

·
Registered
883 Posts
My buddy missed a doe at 10 yards on his way in to one of the blinds tonight. Something pushed it to him as he said he thought he was gonna get run over and wishes he had a bayonet on the end of his musket. No volunteers came my way this evening. Full force tommorow. The boys are well rested and layin off the booze.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I was out all day. Perfect weather, just beautiful. Saw two doe in the am. No shot. Saw a tail on my way to the house for lunch. That's all I saw but sign every where and I had a good hunt.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Deer log #58, #13 with flinter.

Deer seemed to be moving pretty good after 3pm. This one came in with 2 other nice doe directly behind my back. I turned to look around and the lead doe must have picked up on me a little and stopped, staring right at the tree I was on the opposite side of. The other 2 stopped. After a little the lead doe spooked and ran back, with the other 2 following her lead. The lead doe stopped though, broadside to look back again. That was a mistake. Dropped the deer in it's tracks as I caught the bottom of the spine. Deer never moved again.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Deer log #58, #13 with flinter.

Deer seemed to be moving pretty good after 3pm. This one came in with 2 other nice doe directly behind my back. I turned to look around and the lead doe must have picked up on me a little and stopped, staring right at the tree I was on the opposite side of. The other 2 stopped. After a little the lead doe spooked and ran back, with the other 2 following her lead. The lead doe stopped though, broadside to look back again. That was a mistake. Dropped the deer in it's tracks as I caught the bottom of the spine. Deer never moved again.

Congrats! Beautiful pic!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts