The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found about 35 Brick top shrooms in my yard today...Didn't pick them nor eat them.. I use pesticides for grub so I can't eat any shrooms I find in the yard..
Interesting???The BRICK TOP? Most reference books say they a choice and edible.. a few do say they are not edible.. I think what they are trying to say is before the frost they are bitter after the frost they taste good..
Anyone else pick Brick Top Shrooms? whats your feeling on the Brick Top/ Edible or Nonedible??? they are a late fall shroom.. I find them all the time in a woodlot I visit.. they grow on wood...However to find them in the backyard where a maple tree was cut down kind of made my day... I was thinking? The best things in life are free... Proud that I get excited when a find a shroom. Doesn't take much to make me enjoy the outdoors..

·
Registered
274 Posts
I found some a couple years ago in mid November, I was 99% sure they were brick but didn't try them. do they return to the same log each year?

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they should return to the same log..Thre is a look alike so make sure you check the gills out...the cap on that one is not brick red...

·
Registered
274 Posts
I checked out that log and no signs of mushrooms recently. Got me thinking that I took pics of those mushrooms. After searching back a couple or five years.. I did find them and i'm almost sure after comparing them to your pics that they were brick top. your opinion?

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes they appear that they are... Make sure when you get shrooms you take it one step forward and do a spore print.
Simple lay down a piece of black construction paper and a piece of white. make one a 5 X 7. now you have a test area.. Lay the cap gills facing down.. Your book will tell you the color of the spore print... if the spore print is white it will show on the black side of the test paper.. if the white side will show all of the dark colors. brown. etc.. I am sure they are brick tops you got. especially if you found them in Fall and or into winter...I must say that is a beautiful picture of the Brick Top..

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I probably posted this above.. remember prior to the frost they are bitter after the frost they taste ok.. Now in some countries they are considered Poison.. in America they are not.. ???????????????

·
Registered
274 Posts
poison in some countries?? go figure. thanks for your response. i'll have to keep an eye out for the bricks again.
I do recall getting a large amount of "honey" or "stumpies" not far from that location. been checking those logs the past couple years and had no luck. I know for myself here in southwest Pa. other than morels in the spring, it's been tough this past year.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had an excellent year for Chicken Mushrooms, Cauliflower shroom, Honey Fungus, and all kinds of variety of Chanterelles... I too have notice that they Brick Tops don' always grow on the same logs. However Chicken mushroom usually do..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts