The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody have a jeep that has death wobble I have a 2013 wrangler unlimited that has a terrible one every time I hit a decent size bump it goes crazy and about rips the steering wheel out of my hands

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
dealer warranty ..sounds like either ball joints or the rack and pinion gear box..could be wheel bearings...off road alot?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on occasion I have a 4 inch lift on it I have heard from allot of places even stock jeeps do it they said its the combonatio of parts and there locations and corresponding solid front axle that's the cause it can be anything from a bushing replacement or a whole new front end they make death wobble kits to help get rid of the problem but most of the reviews on them say its only a bandaid and the problem will come back I do not take my kids in my jeep because when it happens I either have to swerve off the road or hit the brakes and go below 35 which is not safe when your on a buisy highway

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Many, many years ago I had a Jeepster Commando that had a similar problem, I tried a lot of different things,something as simple as a heavy duty dual stablizer bar cured it.

·
Banned
14,317 Posts
I bought a 2005 wrangler two years ago on some occasion when i'm driving around 50mph I get the death wobble, on a couple occasions it was bad enough that I had to pull over. Haven't had it in the shop yet because I don't wanna get into replacing parts just to find out it didn't fix the problem

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have a 2001 Wrangler w/6" lift and 35" tires and was having that problem.I bought some Synergy ball joints and new tires to get it inspected and haven't had the death wooble since.So for me it was either ball joints or tires or the combination.Synergys are pricey but they are heavy duty and greasable.

Ive checked the internet and there are tons of different things that could cause it from track bars to steering components so good luck.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Lift kits can drastically change the steering angle of the vehicle and this enhances the "death wobble". The more negative the SA, the greater chance of wobble. Think of the shimmy of the front wheels on a shopping cart is the easiest way to describe it. A good steering damper will help but having an alignment by a shop that will take suspension modifications into account will be a huge help. Most lift kits have new alignment spec. sheets included.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
I did the liftin craze back in the late 70,s early eighties but would never do it today.One of the vehicles I lifted was a 77 CJ7 and never remember ever havin the death wobble and it was played with hard and put away wet.The onlt trouble I had was keepin it right side up.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I think the "death wobble" was generally associated with F-250/350 for trucks, but looks like Jeeps have been added to the list of a few. Search death wobble on youtube.

·
Registered
539 Posts
death wobble was a HUGE issue with dodges with solid front axles
a combo of bad design and poor parts
many fixes are out there, do a youtube search , and you will see a LOT of ways people solved there issue's
taller ties and lift all increase the issue's too

·
Super Moderator
26,656 Posts
death wobble was a HUGE issue with dodges with solid front axles
My dad had a '72 Dodge Sportsman van that had this issue.

This was my "learn to drive" vehicle, and man did I learn

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys my budy at work has the same year jeep with the same problem spent 600 dollars at the shop and still has the problem. I will probably end up getting rid of it because of the kids I don't like them with me when it does that and 2 I waterfowl hunt and cannot fit my blind and 7dz decoys in it.

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
I just witnessed this about an hour ago.I was following a young guy and the front of his Jeep just went nuts.There were no bumps and we were only going about 50mph.He pulled over and I pulled in behind him.Nothing looked out of place except his soaking wet pants.I really thought he was gonna lose it.I have two lifted wranglers and never experienced the problem myself.

·
Registered
539 Posts
yes it can have a pucker factor, BUT 99% of the time, slowing down makes it go away, its like it gets out of balance, and faster you go worse it gets, slower and can gain control again
Ball joints being bad makes it MUCH worse, and MOST factory Ball joints don't last past the 45,000 mark, before going out of SPEC, once there out they can cause this issue, along with steering shaft play, and tie rod play
I have owned about a dozen dodges now, and the past few have NOT had this issue at all, BUT did on a few of the pre 2004's
and also on a few fords in the 1999-2003 range

they actually had the worst shake, but didn't happen as much as the dodges once they got past the 50k mark
almost seems like it was made to do this to make you spend money on parts!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had a 74 cj5 that did it and got new tires and align the front end never did it again. The guy who aligned it said it is a common problem with 4wd.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Maybe to late here but this may help someone else here. Any vehicle with a solid front axle is at risk to "death Wobble". You mentioned you had a 4" lift but didn't say who made it, cheaper lifts are more prone to problems. When you had it lifted did you get an alignment? Your caster def changed and toe could have too, this can cause issues. Replacing the stock lower control arms with aftermarket ones to bring caster back will help. Installing bigger tires puts more wear on steering and suspension parts, so premature wear is a given and I will bet this is probably your problem. Did anyone ever go back and re-torque all the bolts/nuts after the lift was installed? Bolts/nuts can work themselves loose even in a short period of time if not properly tightened. Another thing is tightening bolts/nuts when installing the lift while it is in the air verses tightening everything up while the jeep is on the ground can change things as well. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had applehill 4x4 do the lift it was free because they really screwed me on my bronco I had done by them so the offered to put a zone off road lift on it and the bolts were re tightened 500 miles after instulation but I sold my jeep a couple days ago and bought an f150

·
Registered
829 Posts
Sorry you had a bad experience, next time do some research of your own into lifts and you might have to pay a little more but having proper parts under vehicle goes a long way in ride quality and reduces death wobble.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts