The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure we will agree that taking kids fishing is supposed to be fun for them. That said, I wonder how much fun your son had this morning? I wonder how he felt when you parked, got your stuff together, and then took off without him? He did manage to get within 20 steps or so until you ducked into a streamside thicket which he apparently wasn't comfortable following you. Just incase you were wondering, he wandered downstream and ended up fishing near me, my son, and another guy. He was very polite, asked some good questions, and hopefully we helped him catch a trout or two. The sad part is, he kept looking upstream in the direction you took off to. As much as I enjoyed his company(and hopefully he enjoyed ours) I'd bet he would MUCH rather have been standing near and talking to YOU. Don't get me wrong, he was old enough to fish by himself if he wanted, but I don't think he wanted to.

Maybe next time you could put your own obsession to catch a 12" fish aside, and spend some time trying to help your son do it. Even though you didn't appear to be the sort of person who would appreciate doing that, your son seem to be the sort of kid who would. If you can't handle doing that, give me a call, he's welcome to fish with us anytime.
signed
The guy down at the next hole

Sorry, had to get this off my chest.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kid was probably 12 or 13. Like I said, plenty old enough to be on his own on a trout stream, but this kid didn't really seem like he wanted to be, and his dad obviously ditched him. All I asked him if the guy was his dad, and he said yeah.

I'm really hoping the guy, (or somebody else like him) might read this and think before they do the same to their kid next time.

·
Registered
387 Posts
WOW. Thats probally the sadest thing I ever heard. Probally cause to this day my father is my fishing buddy. He is the one that got me into the sport and taught me. Went from him happy to see me catch fish. To me happy to see him catch them.

I'm 31 years old and if you see me on a stream its almost always with my father, And never far away either. Sad to hear things like this.

Quack that was a great thing you did making the kid feel welcome and letting him hang with your group and catch some fish. Nice to see with all the bad there is in the world that there are still some good people out there too

·
Registered
258 Posts
How unfortunate....what a loser this guy must be.... Feel sorry for the youngster. When I was that age all I wanted to do was going fishing with my dad, regardless of how many fish we did, or sometimes didn't catch.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Brings back the real bad memories. Went thru the exact same kind of thing. Mom and us kids had enough abuse, one day packed up and moved, while he was at work. She re-married a good man.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jeffs2813 said:
When I was that age all I wanted to do was going fishing with my dad, regardless of how many fish we did, or sometimes didn't catch.
Me too. In all honesty, my dad wasn't a very avid outdoorsman. When we fished the trout opener, I was lucky (and thrilled) if we caught a single trout. Didn't matter to me; I just enjoyed and have great memories of all the trips we took. Even though he's been gone for quite a few years, I still fish a couple places we went together. My son and I are the same way. When he's able, we always fish together. Even though he's an adult, we still sit together when we hunt too. I guess that's why I was so upset this morning to see some jerk wasting an opportunity to spend time with his kid. We really didn't even spend that much time, just talked a little and gave him a couple suggestions on rigging his line and bait, but it was obvious he enjoyed the time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
that is sad when you don't understand the importance of quality time like that. the best memories I have hunting or fishing Is when my kids are there. doesn't feel the same if I can get out while they are in school.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
That's pretty sad. It doesn't surprise me though. Alot of
guys get more caught up in trying to catch fish or shoot an
animal than they do in making it a fun experience for their
kids. My dad always put me first, it's to bad that not all
parents are like that.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I take my daughter as much as she wants to go with me. Last year she loved fishing, but this year she wants to hunt for critters under rocks. I let her do her thing as long as I can keep an eye on her. Even though she doesn't have her line in the water, she's still learning about the ecosystem in our local creeks. Of course, I take the time to look at everything she finds and teach her. Too bad some other folks don't do the same.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I think a lot of us middle age guys who have our own families now look at things from a different perspective with our children. Many of us who grew up in the early 80's and 90's had parents exactly like this and therefore we want anything except its replication.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
It is sad, but being in the line of work I am I get to see a lot of real "winners" like him on a regular basis, and it is not surprising in the least to hear stories like this. Some people don't deserve kids!

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I saw a similiar thing when I was in Pulaski New York a couple weeks ago fishing for Steelhead on the Salmon River. One afternoon after we were done our float trip my brother and I did some fishing right at the bridge in Atmar. I was fishing the point of a sand bar when I looked over and saw a kid probably 10 years old struggling to work his fly rod and the father was a little ways away fishing by himself and I could tell he was getting fustrated with him asking questions and getting his line tangled up.
I had already hooked two and saw that there were a group of fish hold up right in front of me in some slack water. I called to the kid to move down to the point and told him how to work the drift right into those fish. Within two casts he was hooked up at which time the father came down to give him a hand landing it. I stepped back and asked the father if he wanted me to take a picture of the two of them and he said great idea. After that fish the mood seemed to lighten up a bit. The father said it was his first steelhead on a flyrod.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Yeah people stink if it was t for my dad and grandfather I don't know what I would be like at that age I was all over the creek out fishing the adults they would then walk down to my dad and complain about the kid catching all the fish my dad and pap got big smiles and told them "that was my son or grandson". No I really like it when my dad comes up to visit and I take him to a new spot he still tells me I'm the best fishing buddy he has had and that means a lot because my grandfather was one of the best fly fishermen I've ever seen

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well said, Q. That's about as sad as it gets! Plus it's a great reminder to us that are dads (as I have two sons about this young mans age), to never let selfishness get in the way of effective/ loving parenting. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts