The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 7 year old out tonight for a short sit in a new stand with the cossbow. 6:25 I spotted a deer coming from the left and told Dean to get ready. The buck turned to go uphill and I stopped it at 25 yards right in the only lane he had in that direction.

At the shot I watched the bolt disapear behind the shoulder and the buck kicked and took off. My boy turns and looks at me and says "I hit him" I said, "NO, YOU SMOKED HIM!"

Then the shakes set in, him AND me. Now, I've known the excitement for many years and let me tell you, this was by far the BEST deer hunt I've ever been on.

We got down and went to the spot where the deer was standing and there laid the bolt, covered in blood, a complete passthru. Within 10 yards it was clear that the two blade rage had done it's job and the boy got to trail his first ever deer. 70 yards later, we got to fist pumping and high fiving like two kids on the playground.

It's not the biggest buck I've ever been involved with but it sure was THE BEST ONE! Enjoy!

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
FANTASTIC!!!! Man another PERFECT shot!!

CONGRATS DEAN!!! He is a beauty of a buck!

nice feeling ain't it dad.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Congrats. Way to go!!! He will never forget that one and neither will you.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Way to go Dean (and Dad)! Thats what its all about!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Now that is a great report!! Way to go Dean and way to go Digger!! Congrats to you both. Sure am glad we have Mentored Youth hunting and the option of a crossbow, what a great introduction for young Dean!

·
Super Moderator
3,926 Posts
Awesome! congrats to both of you!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts