The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
20,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I catch a lot of trout each year and 99% of those fish are released but I do admit to enjoyin the taste of trout quite a bit, especially in the smoker, so each year I keep about a dozen of so stockers from streams that can't hold trout over in mid summer. My kids kept 7 trout on the opener this week which I tossed right in the smoker. They are delicious but I have to admit that I've about had it with all the bones!!! Seems like it's just not even worth messing with and no matter how I cook a trout I just always have a mouth of spinny little rib bones to deal with. What on earth am I doing wrong??? Does everyone else have this problem or is it just how I cook them? Either way if I can't figure it out I'm done enjoying trout because they dont taste THAT good lol. Not good enough to endure the terrible texure of crunching bones.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Don't cook them so hard/long. That way the bone structure will stay somewhat intact when you pull the meat off.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
You love those bones in your mouth.

Cant help ya here. I have the same issue and its why i only keep 2-3 a year.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I usually keep quite a few trout, I like the taste and they keep well when vacuum packed. I just plan on taking time when I eat them. I cook them whole either baked or pan-fried. It just takes a while to pick the meat from one side of the skeleton, then flip it over and usually the bones just pull out. I have noticed that browns (along with being the best tasting) are the easiest to get all the bones out of too.

·
20,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BOOTOXEN said:

Ya...just like you like me finishing snow geese right in your face lol!!!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I always fillet mine and then the only bones left are small pin bones in the front half of the filet and u can easily feel them and cut down both sides of them to remove them or if you are worried about wasting that strip of meat you can pull them with pliers

·
20,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quackmaster4 said:
I usually keep quite a few trout, I like the taste and they keep well when vacuum packed. I just plan on taking time when I eat them. I cook them whole either baked or pan-fried. It just takes a while to pick the meat from one side of the skeleton, then flip it over and usually the bones just pull out. I have noticed that browns (along with being the best tasting) are the easiest to get all the bones out of too.
I've noticed this too! Browns and Brooks have stronger bone structure to cooking the rainbows do and rainbows is all I got this past weekend. I think the first poster is right that. I probably need to just cook them much less. It's all probably a good thing though because if the bones weren't an issue I'd most likely keep a lot more trout.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've only smoked brook trout but I remember the bones pulling right out in 1 piece. Smoked them for 2 hours but I forget what temp, probably 220?

The texture was great and the meat was very tender but it was for immediate consumption, not a preserve method.

Hope to fire it up tomorrow as a local stream that is not listed as receiving brook trout always gets some nice 13-14" ers and it was stocked today......and I've got nothing to do until leaving for steelhead for 4 days on Saturday. Life is so hard;).

Craig

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Trout 2003 said:
BOOTOXEN said:

Ya...just like you like me finishing snow geese right in your face lol!!!

Your right there! Smoked Snow goose cheese steak for dinner.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Gotta use the microwave bone removal trick!!!, im tired and don't feel like typing a lot right now and it will take me a little bit to explain it. Absolutely 0 bones and 0 waste of fish, cant google it cuz no one knows of it but my family. been doing it for about 20+ years. Neatest trick I know of. Ill tell ya how later on.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Oh Im on pins and needles waiting for this lol

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
RedWolf23 said:
Gotta use the microwave bone removal trick!!!, im tired and don't feel like typing a lot right now and it will take me a little bit to explain it. Absolutely 0 bones and 0 waste of fish, cant google it cuz no one knows of it but my family. been doing it for about 20+ years. Neatest trick I know of. Ill tell ya how later on.
The suspense is killing me!!!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
hahahaa You guys are hilarious!!!! lmao Im getting there just be patient! Im a busy guy, im always busy at work i get off at 3 today for a change when i get home ill post it. Promise!

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
My friend used to tell me all the time when eating trout, "If you get a bone in your mouth take a big bite out of some bread and just swallow it." Been doing it for years now.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ok fellas I made a topic and posted the Trick for ya! Let me know if you have any questions!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts