1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remington Corelokt

Left to right

45-70 400gr after passing through buck and into the ground about 18 inches

45-70 300gr HP after passing through bucks shoulder and stopping laying just under hide

35 rem 200gr after going lengthwise through doe from brisket to back rib.

·
Premium Member
24,081 Posts
Why would you use something that big on a deer..just sayin

·
Registered
773 Posts
45-70's are def a knockdown kinda gun for short range and easy to carry compared to my 300 win mag. They drop quickly at 200 yards, but the devastation they do is unreal. Petty cool, thanks for sharing this info.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Moss said:
the 45/70 with factory loads is actually quite tame compared to '06's, etc. i use it because i really like the gun, marlin 1895G guidegun. it is short and handy. you can load the 45/70 up to elephant gun level but i don't. the factory loads are quite sufficient. they do have somewhat of a rainbow trajectory but i only shoot 50-75 yards mostly anyway.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Those slugs must be flukes according to some of the pundits on here, need at least a Nosler Parttion or Barnes to kill deer.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rflktrman said:
Those slugs must be flukes according to some of the pundits on here, need at least a Nosler Parttion or Barnes to kill deer.
ya to each his own but those high-end bullets are a waste of money in my opinion. the corelokts, silvertips, etc are all you need for PA deer.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Moss said:
I've used all three of them on deer. And I wouldn't use any of them on Moose because they're all too low powered for my tastes. You can do amazing things with .45-70 handloads but in factory dress my .30-06 smokes the above mentioned loads in power.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
pumpgun said:
Remington Corelokt

45-70 300gr HP after passing through bucks shoulder and stopping laying just under hide
I have one that looks identical to that, a 300 Sierra.

The goat was quartering away uphill about 50 yard away. The bullet entered about 8" low just behind the last rib on the left, angled up and forward then lodged just under the right "armpit" (leg pit???
) under the hide. She traveled about 20 yards then "Perspired".

Bill

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I would imagine getting hit with 300 grains of lead would make anything "perspire" shortly before it "expired".
I had a mushroom form a 7mm mag that my buddy shot a bear with, that was the most perfect nice mushroom you could ever ask for. Those core lockts get the job done!

·
Super Moderator
7,817 Posts
Nice bullets....

As for the premium bullet comment...people will spend thousands for a hunt, spend to buy a truck, camo, etc. But they will buy the cheapest bullets they can find.

To me, I use what I feel is the best bullet for the job. If it's a premium, ok. If it's not premium, ok. I take what I feel is the best tool for the job.

I see more from people grexing about premium products anymore than anything.

Who cares (or knew before this post) that I shoot Nosler Accubonds, Hornady GMX's, and Nosler Partitions? I like the performance of each bullet, and I'm confident in the results I'll get.

If folks like Corelokt, use'em. They're great for you.

On the other hand......why should anyone who uses something else have to be told how their choices in gear make no sense?

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
those are good lookin bullets...

ive seen countless dead deer..ive gutted and butchered more deer than the average hunter..shot with various calibers and bullets...but many from corelokts..most the corelokts i find the cup of the jacket and exits seem tough to get even from 3006s and such with 165s and broadside ribcage shots..

not knockin the bullet..they do their job or i wouldnt be able to gut em or butcher them...

but, i dont trusting a cup n core..

ballistic tips get a bad reputation for some reason...but ive seen more devastation and separation from corelokts than ballistic tips..

the corelokt is probably the most popular bullet out there and probably kills more game a year than any other bullet...just not my cup of tea..

i can load my premium bullets often cheaper than i can buy factory corelokts..

·
Super Moderator
7,817 Posts
mauser06 said:
those are good lookin bullets...

ive seen countless dead deer..ive gutted and butchered more deer than the average hunter..shot with various calibers and bullets...but many from corelokts..most the corelokts i find the cup of the jacket and exits seem tough to get even from 3006s and such with 165s and broadside ribcage shots..

not knockin the bullet..they do their job or i wouldnt be able to gut em or butcher them...

but, i dont trusting a cup n core..

ballistic tips get a bad reputation for some reason...but ive seen more devastation and separation from corelokts than ballistic tips..

the corelokt is probably the most popular bullet out there and probably kills more game a year than any other bullet...just not my cup of tea..

i can load my premium bullets often cheaper than i can buy factory corelokts..
Aside from the Ballistic Tips, agreed 100%. BT's aren't my cup of tea, either, but, as with anything else, that's just personal preference.

I've seen a lot of deer shot with Hornady Interlocks. When I had an interlock fragment on a hit on a doe at 400 yards, I decided it was time to move on. A .30-06 doesn't drive a bullet fast enough to need to worry about breaking a bullet at 400 yards.

The interlock is just as effective and time-honored a bullet as the corelokt. And I could hunt deer with both and more than likely never lose a single animal. On the other hand, I find a lot more comfort in something that will go in, expand, and come out....everytime.

Again, just preference.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
core-lokts are popular because they are cheap and readily available as loaded shells. not everyone reloads. i wouldn't think of using them in my rifles. i reload for all of them now and use accubonds. in my magnums i used to use ballistic tips, but they always came apart, because of the higher velocity. my sisters 7mm-08 i used BT's but next year i think we'll switch to AB's also.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
ive never shot ballistic tips from a mag...all 308s and 06s...i cant remember ever recovering one..and a bunch of us used to shoot them...

now that i bear hunt, ive switched to the accubond in all my rifles so if the bear rifle ends up broke i can grab one of the others and not have to worry about the bullet...really like what ive seen from the accubond..

i butchered a doe dad shot last year..75yd shot or so down hill..doe was bedded below him on a bench...broadside..shooting 165gr PSP corelokts from a 3006..bullet went in the rib cage and im almost certain it went in between ribs..i could no believe the bullet did not exit! it splattered horribly..i found the bullet on the inside wall of the ribcage...well, the cup of the jacket..thats all that was left..

deer stood up and fell back over...but, 100lb live weight doe..broadside shot..3006..no heavy bone hit..theres no reason that bullet should not have blown right through..some guys like a bullet to stay in and expend all its energy...i myself like 2 holes...but i still like expansion..

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
one thing is, those 3 bullets are the only ones i have ever recovered in almost 40 years of hunting and i think i have shot over 40 deer in that time. i have used corelokts exclusively and most blow right through. when i use my 270 i use the 130 corelokts and they are devastating. 308 i use 150's. 7mm/08 i use 140's. 35 whelen i use 200's. all seem to punch big holes. my comment about the premiums were more aimed towards the factory loads people use for PA deer. buying a $40 box of partition golds to shoot an 80lb doe is kind of overkill (no pun intended) in my opinion. if i was going for elk or something out west i would most definitely check out other loads.

·
Super Moderator
12,879 Posts
For my 270 I have used Sierra 130 gr. Spitzer boat tails for the last few years. they group well and this years buck dropped in it tracks at 110 yds. Hit directly through the heart...no bullet recovery.

My 270 Ruger also groups very well with 150 gr. Nosler Partition spitzers.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts