The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked a few cameras after the morning hunt on Saturday. Didn't see one scrape and only saw 2 rubs. Deer sign is about zero and cameras say the same thing. At the moment our property is DEAD.

This to me is a good sign though. I always get a little frustrated early season but I have to remember that if they are not here now, I know late October and all November the big boys will surface. Our property has always been a good rut spot and then the deer tend to stick around until February-March and then leave again.

Had a great encounter with a super old 6 point that I wanted my buddy to spook but he came in behind us and got within 5yds before we even knew he was there. Huge bodied buck.

Nonetheless I will not be hunting again until probably the 23rd but only in the morning since I have a wedding to go to. I just feel I'm doing more harm then good hunting right now. No reason to go in with hot temps and stinking up the place. Normally I hunt no matter what but this year I'm hunting smarter not harder.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Same down in 4E, nothing hardly moving. Still have a lot of standing corn yet.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
My goodness, my parts or 4E and 5C are absolutely getting torn up. Scrapes are being hit every night ( I have video cams on a few of them) by does, little bucks, and the big boys.
I have an absolute stud of a 6pt hitting scrapes with regularity.
My dad killed a good 8pt that came out and cleared a food plot the other night. I took the kids to hunt it two days later and the area reeked of buck glands.
My buddy called in 5 bucks this morning and shot a big 9pt that charged in to a grunt/bleat combo. His property was shredded with fresh scrapes and rubs.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I’ve been out almost every day and found my 1st rub yesterday and haven’t seen a scrape yet. All the bucks I’ve had on camera have disappeared. I’ll keep searching until I find them

·
Super Moderator
6,805 Posts
Up until yesterday afternoon, I hunted every morning and evening but two sits. I saw deer every time but one morning, and probably averaged seeing 6-7 each time in the stand. The most I saw was 18. I saw 6 legal bucks, and maybe 8-10 small ones. Lots of deer, lots of food.

To me, the opening week gives you a good opportunity to kill deer. They’re clueless, but more importantly, you can hunt some great food sources that really pull in the deer. In my areas, it can be white or rock oak acorns, apples, and even black cherries. Most of these will dry up within the first ten days of the season. So I try to hit it hard early. ( although I don’t like this heat ).

I’ve always hunted deer on their trails from food to bedding areas, or right where they come to feed. In 50 years, I’ve never hunted a field edge, not my thing. Same with rut hunting. I can only recall two or three years that I still had my tag come November 1st.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
My son checked cameras on a farm we have permission to hunt yesterday. He mapped all the scrapes and rubs on Onx. The entire field edge exploded with rubs and scrapes in the last week. There are rubs everywhere. Most of them are being done at night but still the sign is there and heating up.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Checked a few cameras after the morning hunt on Saturday. Didn't see one scrape and only saw 2 rubs. Deer sign is about zero and cameras say the same thing. At the moment our property is DEAD.

This to me is a good sign though. I always get a little frustrated early season but I have to remember that if they are not here now, I know late October and all November the big boys will surface. Our property has always been a good rut spot and then the deer tend to stick around until February-March and then leave again.

Had a great encounter with a super old 6 point that I wanted my buddy to spook but he came in behind us and got within 5yds before we even knew he was there. Huge bodied buck.

Nonetheless I will not be hunting again until probably the 23rd but only in the morning since I have a wedding to go to. I just feel I'm doing more harm then good hunting right now. No reason to go in with hot temps and stinking up the place. Normally I hunt no matter what but this year I'm hunting smarter not harder.
Doing exactly the same this year. I may hunt the cold front early next week, but that is still a touch early for movement in the areas I hunt.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
We set a bunch of cameras out on the new property and were seeing a bunch of really nice bucks the two middle weeks of September, then the last week of September the bucks only showed up a few times then the first week of October they almost disappeared completely with only a handful of small bucks showing up. Since we have no history we are hoping that they will start showing back up again soon.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doing exactly the same this year. I may hunt the cold front early next week, but that is still a touch early for movement in the areas I hunt.
Agreed. I think most of the people getting in on the early action may find limited bucks in the coming weeks due to the shift in territory. This is about the time the big boys shift if they haven't done so yet. I think this cold front coming on Sunday will cause that to happen.

Our property always sets up nice once the leaves fall and the rut is on. From November - March it is a deer magnet.

I think now is the time to lay low and only hunt when the conditions are good. I only have 3 sits in so far and don't plan on hunting this Saturday. I will start the push inwards on October 23rd.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We set a bunch of cameras out on the new property and were seeing a bunch of really nice bucks the two middle weeks of September, then the last week of September the bucks only showed up a few times then the first week of October they almost disappeared completely with only a handful of small bucks showing up. Since we have no history we are hoping that they will start showing back up again soon.
Unfortunately they are probably shifting to their fall range. Hopefully it overlaps with the property you own. You'll also soon start picking up other bucks that you haven't seen yet very soon. Those are the bucks that you know are gonna stick around.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Everyone
Agreed. I think most of the people getting in on the early action may find limited bucks in the coming weeks due to the shift in territory. This is about the time the big boys shift if they haven't done so yet. I think this cold front coming on Sunday will cause that to happen.

Our property always sets up nice once the leaves fall and the rut is on. From November - March it is a deer magnet.

I think now is the time to lay low and only hunt when the conditions are good. I only have 3 sits in so far and don't plan on hunting this Saturday. I will start the push inwards on October 23rd.
Again I agree with you.

Everyone (the experts) likes to pin the annual whitetail buck shift during the week or two after Labor Day. While I mostly observe that occurring during that timeframe on the lands I hunt, every property (public or private) is not created equal. I don’t believe every piece of land can only be put into two boxes. (Bucks in summer, not in fall/ Bucks in fall not in summer)

In my observation , A given mature buck may shift from property #1 to property #2 the week after Labor Day. He may then spend all of his time on property #2 for 6-8 weeks until one day in the magic date range of October 22-27 where he simply takes a quick stroll, possibly as short as 100 yards, over to property #3. I’m not even referring to the long range traveling and frenzy of the peak and post rut at that point.

Most of the lands I hunt are property #3. Add In a few more properties/lands from other directions, and your likely to see a few different good bucks during the pre rut. Then obviously any piece has the possibility to produce during the frenzy of the main rut.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I'm glad I don't have property and can go hunt because I like to hunt, all without worrying if I'm going to bump a deer or not. There's deer that get shot every single day of the season. I've never killed one at home.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I'm glad I don't have property and can go hunt because I like to hunt, all without worrying if I'm going to bump a deer or not. There's deer that get shot every single day of the season. I've never killed one at home.
I have property and can go hunt, I have 2 stands up on public and will hunt my property starting around the 21st.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have my own property as well as several others I can hunt. Being self employed and having a crew of good trustworthy employees I can pretty much hunt whenever I want, BUT at the same time my time = money so it is pointless at this time of the season to hunt if my cams are showing zero deer activity. Also several of my permitted properties are business customers of mine who have a "deer problem" and they TRUST me to allow me to hunt there. I like to show them results so "wasted" sits when there is low deer activity dont make me look good to them! Also not hunting and pushing hard to get my work projects done now allows me to spend more "guilt free" time in the woods when conditions improve. Now come about 2 weeks from now through the end of the regular season I will be in a stand daily at least for a few hours each in morning and evening!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think most of us hit the nail on the head. Hold out until late October when it's hot and the cams aren't showing the movement. Deer are still adjusting their ranges. No sense scaring a buck the first day he moves in to your property with all that scent. Good chance he walks by at midnight and catches a good wiff.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
I think most of us hit the nail on the head. Hold out until late October when it's hot and the cams aren't showing the movement. Deer are still adjusting their ranges. No sense scaring a buck the first day he moves in to your property with all that scent. Good chance he walks by at midnight and catches a good wiff.
My kids and I walk past the scrape posted above every day we hunt that property. We stop and check the camera and the boys pee in the scrape. We've been checking that camera and peeing in that scrape for months.
The only thing that has changed is more and more deer are showing up on camera. I know it's a night time only scrape and I know every deer smells us checking that camera. They just don't seem to care. I have to brush against those walnut branches to check that camera, and a few hours after I'm there two mature bucks are licking the branches and ripping up the ground.
I'm fairly certain I'd have the big boy dead by now if I hunted his beds ..........but as long as the kids want to go hunting they come first.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts