The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else found dead English Sparrows at their bird feeders? I have found five dead sparrows under my sunflower seed feeder in the last several weeks. No signs of trauma, just laying on the ground with their eyes closed and dead. Anyone have info on a disease taking sparrows?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Has anyone else found dead English Sparrows at their bird feeders? I have found five dead sparrows under my sunflower seed feeder in the last several weeks. No signs of trauma, just laying on the ground with their eyes closed and dead. Anyone have info on a disease taking sparrows?
I believe they may be Democrat Sparrows and have succumbed to Trump anxiety disorder.>:)

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Are you sure it was not a hawk or bird of prey knocking down more than they can eat? I have seen some birds go crazy at feeders.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, there was no trauma to the birds.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Could be a bad batch of bird feed.....? maybe some microbes or mold or something in a batch of food, it could happen.

·
Super Moderator
14,061 Posts
I don't know how susceptible English sparrows are to salmonella but I would think that might be a possibility.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Administrator
29,252 Posts
Whatever it is, let's hope it has a good run but affects no other birds. English sparrows are an invasive species that compete with our native song birds and should be eradicated.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No no BB guns.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That thought went through my mind.I remember when it went through the finches. All there eyes were closed and I didnlt see any residue around the eyes like you usually see with conjunctivitis. If I find another I will open the eyes and look.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I'm on the other side of the state from you, but this week we found a dead cedar waxwing and a dead wren in the yard. no obvious sign of trauma on either of them. this morning there was a young rabbit dead in the flower bed. we do not use any pesticides or weed killer around the house.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts