The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts

Its all I have used for years. Some of my fellow Hevi-Shot field staff are anchoring them at 70 to 80 yards. My tactics are somewhat different so I usually never exceed 55 to 60 yards with my Dead Coyote.

Kirk McKendree

·
Banned
462 Posts
I love the dead coyote shells, always carry it loaded in my single shot 12ga. I dont have the choke, but the shells themself are the real deal!

·
Registered
18,544 Posts
I shoot it (in both T-shot and #4 buck) using a Carlson's Dead Coyote Choke in both my SBE 2 and Mossberg 835. Good out to about 50yds IMO.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
For $5.00 per shot, it better work. I'd imagine a shotshell company could make some good money selling a similar product with lead shot at a more affordable price.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Kinda off topic but i get the cheap target loads and pop the crimp open with a small screw driver dump the birdshot into a bag, and fill it with copper plated bbs for a bb gun. its super cheap and its got way more range and a better group than #4 Buck my gun is not a full choke though its a wingmaster made to shoot goose loads i can put about 80 bbs in a shell. you gotta use a six o clock hold at 50 yards because the bbs are so much lighter there probly cooking along pretty fast.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Im probly hitting with 50+ bbs at 50 yard in a 30in circle it will kill anything you shoot... including high flying geese haha

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I killed a grey at 55 yds last year. DRT. Never moved. Killed one at 45 yds that night to. Same results. Both wetre 3 1/2s out of a SBE 2 with the Choke from Dead Coyote too.

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have killed greys with federal 3" with 2 oz of #4s with flightcontrol wads. I have killed them any wheres from 30 to 50 yards with a remington 870 express, with an xtra full turkey choke. The problem i always ran in to was, what would i do if i had a coyote come in? so my solution was to load 4buck in the magazine and one turkey load in the chamber,but what happens when you call in 2 fox? long story short it will be nice to just have to load one type round, in the gun, and not have to mess around in the dark with different shells.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
arc said:
Kinda off topic but i get the cheap target loads and pop the crimp open with a small screw driver dump the birdshot into a bag, and fill it with copper plated bbs for a bb gun. its super cheap and its got way more range and a better group than #4 Buck my gun is not a full choke though its a wingmaster made to shoot goose loads i can put about 80 bbs in a shell. you gotta use a six o clock hold at 50 yards because the bbs are so much lighter there probly cooking along pretty fast.
Please, no one do this. It is dangerous.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
arc said:
VERY off topic and not recommended at all. Please don't encourage this type of stuff here. If you can't answer the OP's question start a new thread with your homebrew methods

·
Registered
21,139 Posts
that was my question...was it safe and better yet is it legal shot size?

stay safe and dont play around.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Haha it would be legal shot size and if they are steel bbs it would be legal to shoot geese with them. People in my opinion worry a little to much about making your own handloads. I am in no way saying ya its a good idea to just shoot w/e but you can basically shoot anything out of a shotgun from nails, bbs or anything you can fit in them. Accuracy is the issue with the odd shapes items.

In my opinion there are no shells on the market worse then dead coyotes shells that are specifically made for targeting predators. If you can find them still wing master hds in bb or TT they are extremely rare though. I haven't tried the # 4 buck DCs but I have heard much better thig about them from th guys running hounds and using them daily. Personally I just like 3.5 in # 4 buck the wing masters or hand loaded ITX extreme trauma turkeys in #2s.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Yeah, you can shoot anything from a shotgun, until you spike the pressure, and blow up your gun ad your face. Popping a crimp and swapping shot is just plain crazy!

As to the original post, I shoot the dead coyote, and love it. If I could get lead #4 buck to pattern as well I would probably use it, from a price standpoint. But I can't, so dead coyote it is!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Please explain to me why this is dangerous? the bbs weigh much less than the lead shot iv wieghed it... I told you I have a wingmaster it is not a full choke. If you know somthing I need to know about this than fill me in, They make tons of steel bb shot from goose from the factory, and I couldnt care how off topic it was, maby ill start a tread about making your own shotgun shells.

·
Registered
355 Posts
i think it has to deal with how hard the steel that the bb's for a bb gun are made of...regular steel shot is not made of such hard steel....just sayin

1 - 20 of 20 Posts