The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size choke are you using? I have a hastings turkey choke in my 12 gauge but I think it is too tight for shot this large. It is a .640, which is the smallest available. I am looking to buy another choke to use while hunting predators but with the price of the shells and the tubes I dont want to buy a bunch of each.

·
Banned
851 Posts
Carlson's makes a dead coyote choke tube, i'm not sure on the constriction. Hevi Shot also makes a dead coyote choke tube again, not sure on the constriction.

You're asking for trouble if you shoot buckshot or Dead coyote out of a .640. Buckshot, at least for me, tends not to pattern well out of tighter chokes. You want just enough constriction to keep the pellets grouped well, but if you have too loose of a choke it won't pattern well either.

PA Waterfowler

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a Mossberg 835 and I have the Factory Ulti-Full Choke Tube (.695). I've been struggling to fins some answers with the same issue. I was wondering if I could shoot #4 or 00 Buckshot through that tube since it is larger than the standard bore 12 gauge (.731).

In researching my answers, I came across some info where after some testing either a .670 or .680 tube seemed to work the best. Get em to tight and it will cause deformation

I'm guessing though that restriction is restriction no matter what gauge and typical xtra full is around .55-.65, the Ulti-full is already at.80 (and about .70 in your case)

I have a Carlson's Modified that is .743, and they approve it for both. might give that a whirl.

Thanks,
ZMan079

·
Registered
602 Posts
i use a kicks high flyer in my 870 predator gun i think its .705, the tighter chokes did not pattern well for me...i tried a lot of choke/shot combos and this one patterns the best...it shoots 3 1/2 inch dead coyote and remington wingmaster hd t shot and winchester 4 buck very well...ive always had good luck with kicks chokes but it all comes down to what your gun likes...my benelli sbe likes bb hevi shot through an srm terror choke or carlsons full choke

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it comes down to the individual gun. I searched for a long time and shot lots of rounds to settle in on my turkey load. With the constriction of my current choke dont want to shoot any shot larger than 5's. I am just looking for a choke size and then I will try ammo from there. I dont want to buy 4 choke tubes and try 3 different rounds out of each.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Start with your regular full choke, it may work fine. You may not need an aftermarket one. And dont rule out modified either, til you try it. I've been wanting to pick up an extended tube in modified myself, something with 1" parallel constriction, to see how that handles 4 buck. My factory full choke works well. That's what i shoot most of the time. Either with copperplated #2's or 4 buck.

·
Registered
18,426 Posts
I've had very good success in my 835 shooting #4 buck out of my Rhino Choke (.695) which is what I use for turkey as well.
However I achieved somewhat better patterns using the Carlson's Dead Coyote Choke with both the DC loads and Federal 3 1/2" #4 buck. I can't find the constriction of the Carlson's tube listed anywhere unfortunately. Good out to 50-55yds IMO.
I'm shooting A Dead Coyote Choke in my Benelli SBE 2 as well but my Mossberg 835 still patterns better I have to admit.
Fox are easy to kill. If I was hunting an area I knew that was strictly occupied by fox I would use regular #4 copper-plated shot or #4's in hevishot.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i use mod. choke in my pred. shot gun. then i can use anything from 4s to 4 buck and even use some #2 steel thats laying around and dont have to worry about screwing up the barrel or the choke.

·
Registered
927 Posts
What would a reminton 870 Modified choke measure, its not interchangable though. excellent for #5 birdshot though.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I called mossberg about 835 with the ulti-full choke when they made #004 buckshot legal and they said you can shoot 004 or even 00 using the ulti-full choke.I shoot the 3 1/2 mag winchester #004 at 50 yds and put 11 in a 12 inch circle.

·
Registered
927 Posts
peep site said:
I called mossberg about 835 with the ulti-full choke when they made #004 buckshot legal and they said you can shoot 004 or even 00 using the ulti-full choke.I shoot the 3 1/2 mag winchester #004 at 50 yds and put 11 in a 12 inch circle.
wow thats really good, mine does proboy 11 in a 12cir at 20 yards. Although the 2-34 shell only holds 27 pell to start, what does yours hold? like 70?

·
Registered
69 Posts
peep site said:
I was in an email thread over the last several days with a gentleman form mossberg who stated not to shoot #4 out of ulti-full only lead shot ( i explained that buckshot was lead). I think I read in the 835 manual #2 birdshot is the biggest you can go with that tube...

makes me wanna try the #4 just to see......

Thanks,
ZMan079

1 - 15 of 15 Posts