The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read in some magazine that if you find a dead bat... call the p.g.c. my dad found four dead bats in his yard... he called the p.g.c. they had no interest at all..... weird .. right...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
That sure is because they have this big PR deal going on the web site and asking for people to do exactly what your Dad did. I wonder if it was some dispatcher that was new or sometimes a secretary. What RO was it?? He ought to call back and tell them to read their own website.

·
Registered
644 Posts
General Reporting Information
Information you submit will remain confidential.
We'd like to hear from you if you've seen any of the following:
- Bats that are dying or dead in groups of 5 or more
- Bats with a white fungus on their face or wings
- Missing or greatley-reduced summer bat colonies
That's the instructions from the PGC website. Last I checked four didn't equal five!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Dont know this as a fact but I have heard that if you have populations of Brown bats on your property you may be restricted from developing it since this little critter is on some sort of protected list. I have not done any research on the subject to see if this has valid ... but it is probably worth your time to find out before you get the state involved.

timber

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
i have little browns living in my attic. almost impossible to get rid of them. 2 years ago i was slow sealing cracks and sealed them in. i had to go out one evening and rip the soffit off the house so they could get out. i'd like them out but would like them to stay around as i couldn't imagine the bugs we would have with a swamp right below my house. i'm going to hear to the roof here in a week or so and try to seal it up good this year

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
Bluemarsher1 said:
General Reporting Information
Information you submit will remain confidential.
We'd like to hear from you if you've seen any of the following:
- Bats that are dying or dead in groups of 5 or more
- Bats with a white fungus on their face or wings
- Missing or greatley-reduced summer bat colonies
That's the instructions from the PGC website. Last I checked four didn't equal five!
4 or 5 what is one bat and what if there is another one dead that he didn't see somewhere there still is reason they are dead and why? I would have called myself.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Bluemarsher 1
Please tell me what the difference in four or five except just one that could also be there somewhere, I am sure that four dead bats in a small area is something that they would be interested in. I know that I would have been wondering why I have four dead bats at any given location. I would bet that five was an arbitrary number to start with. Say how many years do you have working with wildlife?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Ancient, Four is four and five is five. The four dollars in my pocket could be five if another one somewhere else was in there, but it is not so I only have four. I really believe that if four dead bats in a small area is something they would be interested in then they would have said four on their website, but they said five. If you want to know how they picked five I would suggest you email them and ask and then your bet could be a sure one. As for your last question, I have yet to work with wildlife; that term would be a challenge for most of my co-workers.

·
Registered
797 Posts
coyoterook said:
i read in some magazine that if you find a dead bat... call the p.g.c. my dad found four dead bats in his yard... he called the p.g.c. they had no interest at all..... weird .. right...
If the dispatcher had no interest at all, just blew your dad off, then that's odd considering the interest the agency has in white nose syndrome right now. Perhaps some questions were asked by the dispatcher. Most importantly...any white fungus on the nose or wings?

·
Banned
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well at first he called the wrong regional office, he said they sounded very interested and gave him the number to the office in reading. when he called there he said he was surprised they seemed to have very little interest, and told him they only wanted larger numbers reported . he told me he has seen bats flying around for the past month or more....

·
Banned
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and prob. found a total of about 9 dead bats in the past few weeks.....but now 4 in one day

·
Banned
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
John W said:
Your dad can go directly to this PGC link and make his dead bat report to HBG.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=615133&mode=2
john w i went to the pgc website and reported the bats for my dad. i got a reply the next day thanking me for reporting the bats. they said there is a huge hibernation area in the location my dad lives. and they collected enough samples from that area. i paid him a visit and seen approx. 5 - 7 bats flying around in the daylight hours... thanks for the info .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts