The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cant wit till next deer season!! These pics are taken out the back door a few days back---Now the snow is 4 feet outside! More coming after the blizzard today on Monday!! LOVE IT!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<span style="color: #000000">For a few years now I give them GOOD FOOD in the winter. Corn alone has no nutritional value per say.
I mix my own feed consisting of shelled corn along with high protein horse feed with molasses, and mineral salts with vitamins. If you look close you can see how fat my girls are. It also helps alot with ensuring the developing deer get great nutrition as well. The bucks also get a jump start on next years antler growth. I alos put out 4--- 50 pound mineral licks over a 2 plus mile radius ----It is a shame the mentality here doesnt allow for these bucks to reach 3-4 years of age though. Id love to see a 4 year old buck who has benefitted from my program, just once.</span>

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hose feed Im using is higher in protein than corn.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
What I am tryin to say is that protein(crude)is not really as important as the energy and fat content of the feed.Crude protein(depending what type it is)is highly overrated.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<span style="color: #000000">This time of the year you want a a feed that will be digested thoroughly and completely with as much high energy as well as stored energy for later. The mix Im using will provide both----in a sense it has carbs for the quick energy needed now and the high crude that will be stored ----why do you think high crude is overrated--Think in the terms just listed---energy for now and energy stored for later---</span>

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I've been putting out haybails, corn,oats and apples then I sprinkle trace mineral salts mixted with Dical on top of the pile. I need to put more out every day becasue they are eating every last bit. The apples are actually given to meby a local grocery store they just give the stuff they can't sell becasue it's past it sell by date. I haven't seen a "skinny" deer on my farm all winter.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
I,m just goin on my experience of feeding livestock and formulating dairy and beef and hog rations and understanding grains and feedstuffs in general.One thing is for certain.You sure aren,t hurtin em in these conditions.Even a ration that would be completely wrong(not yours) would be better than nothin.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The only thing I know about feeding critters is the silo gets cold and when frozen you don't need a gym workout. So feeding them corn in winter doesn't kill them(Thats what I've been told)? I have seen many deer standing knee deep in snow hanging in 5A fields. Most were last years corn come to think of it. I gotta figure out how to post pics.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
I,ve done that with no chute either.When we put up a new one in 95 the unloader was a back saver in fillin an unloadin.Our you feedin corn silage to deer?

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<span style="color: #000000">I feed them 10% and sometimes 15% horsefeed with molasses, ground trace mineral, and whole shelled not crushed corn. Soupe you were fed a line of bull with that information. Dont believe it my friend. Never has a deer died due to me feeding them---I have alomost 10 years of film footage for the idiots who post other wise. I think in the past there were "members" who would post "garbage" just to "stir the pot". In a few instances Ive noticed some of that starting up here at HPA blackpoder sites. I sure hope if someone is to post in disagreement of a fellow member they have a little more that opinion to back it up or at least post the it is JMHO--meaning its Just My Humble Opinion.</span>

·
Registered
695 Posts
Let me start by saying I have raised deer for the last 25 years and know a little about deer nutrition.

Deer need a certain enzyme in their digestive system to properly digest corn. Deer that get corn on a regular basis have no problem digesting it but say if a deer from an area that they have no corn available to them and all of a sudden have a pile of corn dumped in front of them it will upset their digestive system. If they are already stressed from a hard winter it is possible IMHO to cause death.

Let me also say i have never seen it happen and my deer all get an ear or two of corn every day.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Jeeze Bunky I'm clueless on the subject. My source I guess would be page 54 in the PGA Hunting and Trapping Digest. I have found The PGC wrong on other subjects however. They did tell me the Lynx I saw with my own eyes wasn't actually there. Heck, they thought we were nuts when we first started seeing coyotes back in the day. Hey you have proof. While I love what the PGC has done for me and my hunting they get it wrong sometimes.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
soupe said:
Jeeze Bunky I'm clueless on the subject. My source I guess would be page 54 in the PGA Hunting and Trapping Digest. I have found The PGC wrong on other subjects however. They did tell me the Lynx I saw with my own eyes wasn't actually there. Heck, they thought we were nuts when we first started seeing coyotes back in the day. Hey you have proof. While I love what the PGC has done for me and my hunting they get it wrong sometimes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts