The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Day 9 December 7th

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  BIGGAME 
#1 ·
Didn't see the topic for today. Anyway, doe down 713 am. Hope everyone else has some luck today as well!

#5 ·
Well I saw the first deer of the year. I could hear running behind me and I didn't turn figuring they would come right by me. Here come 7 doe and stop 35 yards in front of me. I put the cross hairs on one and squeeze and nothing. Pull the hammer back again and squeeze and nothing. I chamber another round and they move another 30 yards away. I pull the trigger and nothing again. Taking the old 30-30 to the gunsmith tomorrow. I stayed in the stand another 30 minutes and saw a buck running but it never stopped and I'm glad I couldn't tell if it was legal or get a shot because the gun likely wouldn't go boom. I'll try again tomorrow with the 308 or 243.

#12 ·
On that gun that wouldn't fire, could be the grease (and gunk?) in the bolt body is cold enough that it's restraining the firing pin from completing it's stroke. My brother's 760 did that when we were teenagers with three bear standing in front of him - three times on three different shells. Took it back to camp, warmed it up by the stove, and BANG on the same three shells. Just a thought.

Didn't get out myself today - I will tomorrow with Dad for a bit anyhow.

#13 ·
Hunted for several hours this morning. Nice, quiet walk in the woods. Saw lots of tracks, but did not see any deer. No other vehicles or hunters where I was at today. Did kick out a grouse that scared the h-e-double hockey sticks out of me like they always do.

Oh well, three more days to go, then the big wait for flintlock season. I doubt many hunters will be out over the next two days, so Saturday will be this last big push to get a deer. Looks like frigid weather moving it, so any walking will be difficult.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.