The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No Day 5 thread yet? Is hunting season over?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,787 Posts
Except for opening day today is the best weather wise.
We got out early and used my DMAP at 07:35. Got it back to the house around 11 and back out now to try and fill my buck tag.
The wind is 1/2 of what it was yesterday and it's bright and sunny. With the woods being so wet deer was a easy drag out and you can move around quietly.
Seeing a lot more hunters today then I did Wednesday or yesterday. Besides my shot there was around 10 more. Bear is also still open.
I think this delayed doe here in 3D caught a lot of guys off guard and many are waiting till tomorrow when they can just shoot doe or buck.
Tomorrow at noon is the end of the line for me unless I go late season with crossbow.

Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,162 Posts
Seems like a slow season, perhaps it's the weather. Most guys I have known in the past take vacation the first 3 days, then hunt saturdays. But with the rainy weather, I don't think many guys were out tuesday and wednesday, I know I wasn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
Went out until about noon. Pushed the scrubs, didn't kick anything out. Bumped into another hunter, he said same thing, nothing. We both were amazed that there is no sign of anyone having taken a deer yet on this mountain. No drag marks, etc. No wheel ruts either in case they used game carts.

Hoping there will be a big push come tomorrow. I've hunted 4 days this week up here, and seen (1) and only (1) deer in the woods. Could not see the top of the head, so don't know for sure what it was other than a deer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Saw a lot of vehicles yesterday, but just a couple today. I thought it would be the opposite with guys taking Friday off to head back to their camps for the weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Went out for a quick sit this morning in 2C. Saw one other hunter, but no deer. This is my second year hunting, but I have yet to bag a dear. Not going to get frustrated though. Each time out, I learn a little more, and appreciate the experience a little bit more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
I saw three bucks and four doe this morning. One was legal but I didn't shoot. Kind of small 8 point....hunted everyday and all I can say as it beats working....love the time alone in penn's woods.....bradford county...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,084 Posts
Went out hoping to spot a random Perry County bear and ended up sneaking up on two different bedded bucks. A spike and 120" 8 point. Seeing the big boy got the adrenaline pumping pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Been out for about 45 minutes in 5c. Already saw 5 doe wandering past, a little rushed. Had hoped a buck was trailing, but best I can tell was just a spike. He held up a little ways off then turned around. We shall see what the afternoon brings. Good luck to everyone out today and tomorrow
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DrVohs said:
Went out for a quick sit this morning in 2C. Saw one other hunter, but no deer. This is my second year hunting, but I have yet to bag a dear. Not going to get frustrated though. Each time out, I learn a little more, and appreciate the experience a little bit more.
You hang in there and keep at it DrVohs. Read, watch and learn as much as you can and success will come.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
Was out in 5C last 2 mornings and not one single deer spotted,walked the thicket down to my truck nice and slow pausing for about 5-10 minutes checking ahead and to my back in case one was trying to sneak back around,nothing,total zero,seen drag marks down to the parking area from a shot earlier in the morning,so somebody got at least one.Hopefully Saturday will be better,keep saying that it's gonna get better but starting to have my doubts.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Went out today...Saw many doe and two 8-points. Still hunting is a blast. Saw the doe the same time they seen me but they just walked off unsure of what I was. The two 8-points were just young fellas.

One thing I didn't see all day was another vehicle or hunter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
Was out in 5B and filled my buck tag on a nice 8pt this evening! Made me feel good cause I actually hit this buck the last week of archery season in the infamous "dead zone" and of course didn't find him. Was a great night in the stand b4 he stepped out. I saw 9 doe and a spike with 45 minutes left and knew a shooter buck had to step out! With 5 minutes left in legal shooting time the 8pt proved me right!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Hunting private land in 4A...Nothing until lunch time when I spotted a giant, couldn't get a shot at him, had a doe and a small 6 point with him. I could have shot the 6 but I let him go so I didn't spook the big one in case he turned and headed back my way.
Back in my stand tomorrow moring for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,095 Posts
Saw 2 but couldn't get a clear shot. Was out all day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
hunted all week, including today. I have seen one deer. see sign but not what is making it. I question why i continue but i will. Actually i rarely see alot of deer but manage to harvest fairly often. have been exploring new areas. I have been seeing some really great woods
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,305 Posts
Bluemoonfox said:
Was out in 5B and filled my buck tag on a nice 8pt this evening! Made me feel good cause I actually hit this buck the last week of archery season in the infamous "dead zone" and of course didn't find him. Was a great night in the stand b4 he stepped out. I saw 9 doe and a spike with 45 minutes left and knew a shooter buck had to step out! With 5 minutes left in legal shooting time the 8pt proved me right!!
That's cool. Now that he's on the ground, where was the wound?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
bigbear said:
Bluemoonfox said:
Was out in 5B and filled my buck tag on a nice 8pt this evening! Made me feel good cause I actually hit this buck the last week of archery season in the infamous "dead zone" and of course didn't find him. Was a great night in the stand b4 he stepped out. I saw 9 doe and a spike with 45 minutes left and knew a shooter buck had to step out! With 5 minutes left in legal shooting time the 8pt proved me right!!
That's cool. Now that he's on the ground, where was the wound?
Right where I watched it go, just above his right shoulder. I use NAP KillZones and there's a perfectly straight line scar and little bit that hadn't healed yet. I'll post pics later. Been busy round the house today
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top