The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my first day out man am I ready and excited. fresh snow and my flinter does it get any better than this?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
No it doesnt Carl! First day out for me as well. Looks like a great morning. I hope to see some, but if not its gonna be nice being out there with all the snow. Good luck all!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
It is also my first day out. Its actually my first day out in 5-6 years. We got about a fresh inch of snow last night. It should be a good morning to sneak around.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
It is dumping the snow here in 4A, hope everyone has those locks covered!

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Snowing like crazy here as I type. Headed out this afternoon to much to do this morning and the snow is only going to slow me down from getting out .GRRR oh well off work until the 2nd so i have a couple of days to spook around.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Just got home. It was snowing hard this morning. Nothing had moved since the storm started here last night. I had a fox squirrel run across my feet. Then I had a weasel running around me. At one point it was 3 feet away from me. Going back out around 2 hopefully they will be up and feeding then.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Got home a little while ago myself. Actually my wife sent me a text asking if I was okay, because it was snowing like crazy down in the valley. I told her I am making my way out to the Jeep because it was like trying to hunt inside a light bulb! Glad I did too, the trip down the mountain was.......interesting!

But, back to hunting. I actually heard a deer today!!! While still hunting along a path, I heard a deer snort at me from the other side of a thicket. Never caught a glimpse of the deer..........but I heard a deer.........in the woods!!!

16 days of hunting; 3 deer seen, 1 deer heard!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Saw 9 last evening, including a buck on the sgl. Can't make it out today. I think this evening might be good, though.
Hunt the food, Steve. You should be able to see deer everyday in the late flintlock. It is the easiest season by far to pattern deer. Getting one is another story!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was out today as well in 3D and Steve you were right the trip down 309 was an interesting ride. I had the crossbow I saw one off about 150 yds going away and had one snort at me didnt see it. Not sure if I will go back out today Monday/Tuesday are good possiblities

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
I got out of the truck at 7am and headed for my latter stand. The tracks I cut and bed under the pine told the story, deer had already moved lower to the posted land, about one hour before day light, I figured.
Stayed in the stand until 8:30 then still hunted the old logging road back to the truck. I cut the tracks of 4 or 5 deer, total. Guess it's time to look else where, with the new houses being built just over the hill the deer have changed their pattern, and just to much posted ground boarding my wood lot to make it worth hunting anymore, progress, bah humbug.
Probably didn't matter, even with the calf knee, and trying to protect the lock assembly the best I could, the priming power wouldn't stay dry. Gun is now sitting behind the wood stove getting a good drying out for next week.

·
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
first 3 deer I saw were bucks 1 legal and I don't have a buck tag then a nice doe at 40 yards and I missed.....the group of 8 guys I hunted with today did manage 2 nice does ill post a few picks later after I rest up....16 inches of snow or so sure takes its toll.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
got out this morning walked 40 yrds and jumped 9 does i missed shot right over a big doe then at 10;30 shot at a doe she jump and went straight for the thickest i had hair [brown] all over the ground followed her tracks for 3 hours no blood or deer then at 2;15 a big doe comes out and bang she droped then shes up and trying to run waited half hour and went after blood all over ground and great blood trail after 300 or 400 hundred yrds blood trail ends going back out in the morning to look again

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Was out this morning. None seen. Did find lots of tracks in the laurel. Friend of came out to where I was parked and said 6 does were with 50 yds of my vehicle. Thats the way it goes.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Had an awsome day today, love hunting in the snow. Had a couple of friends in stands so I just still hunted around to get some deer moving. Between 4 of us we saw 32. One doe down and another hit, tracked her and jumped her watched her run to a wood patch where no one is allowed to hunt. We let her go about an hour got permission to go in after her as long as we didn't carry any guns, but couldn't find her and lost all blood sign, never found her. That was the worst part of the day.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Mine was a slight disaster we were on our way to a spot right after the snow stopped hit a patch of ice ended up in a ditch called my dad he came and pulled us out just as he got there he lost power from his brakes I followed him to my house and be had a broken brake line we "fixed" it so he could drive home today always tomorrow

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

Here is the pic treestand was talking about, or one of them anyways! First kill with my 54 cal, 25 yard shot, 30 yard recovery, shot her through both front shoulders, the ball was stuck in the hide on the other side, flattened out and about as big as a .50 cent piece! Both deer were killed on the same drive, only two we got today.

·
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
eddie spaghetti said:
Lew, you have got to be out of freezer space. LOL. Looks like fun, congrats!
funny you say that he had to buy one just for his moose meat......and it was fun until the next morning. im getting older and the almost 2 mile drive I put on to push those deer out made me one sore puppy!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Scored a small doe Sat around 4PM with "Elisabeth" my 54 cal flintlock....Thanks Don

1 - 20 of 20 Posts