The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I can't believe a daily thread hasn't been posted yet, its only the 4th day. Anyway, I might make it out this evening, but if not, I'll be out all day tomorrow and Saturday. Good to all who are out and be safe!

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I'm planning on taking the Model 70 for a walk this afternoon as soon as I can get out of work.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Sat in the blind til 10am watching a thick ravine. 3 baldies around 8am. Wind was howling up here this morning. Lovin my heater body suit. Back out around 3. Snowing a little now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Stayed out till 10 this morning. Sneaking around through thick pines. Seen 2 doe and 1 tail which was unidentified. WIll most likely be out all day tommorow, will definetely be out all day on Saturday.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Was going to go out this morning until noon and then head to work but checked the weather last night and it was raining like crazy and it was calling for 15 - 17 MPH winds and I wasn't sitting in my tree with it blowing like that ! Woke up this morning and let the dogs out and the wind was barely blowing at all ! Guess I shouldn't have believed them as they are almost always wrong....lol

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sitting in a different tree now. Wind has been blowing all day but now seems to be picking up. Saw 3 doe just after first light. Well I just keep trying but this wind. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Hunted until about 1pm. Slow walk around the scrubs. Kicked out three tails, but couldn't see what they were. About an hour later, kicked out another three does; I'm assuming they were the original tails I had seen. No buck. No sign of any drag marks in the woods either. Oh well, the SBH needed the fresh air.

Did come across some rubs. Hoping no one got the buck that left them.........or that he didn't move to Florida.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Heading out shortly,setting in a blind that I just set up this year. First time sitting in a blind but its payed off this year with the rain and wind we have been having. Still haven't see a deer since rifle opened . They must be moving at night as I see tracks at my pond. Its only a matter of time.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Five hours on stand this morning, no deer sighted, no shots heard.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Was out this morning. Wind was howling. No sign of anything. Looking forward to Saturday. Nice weather and hopefully more hunters in the woods pushing deer around.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Windy here too saw 2 does and a spike around 900 but then the wind kicked in and hasn't stopped, It was so bad I lowered everything from my treestand and climbed down in a bib and shirt.

Went out this afternoon and touched up some brush on teh natural blinds around the place and set up a trail camera on a fresh rubline.

Heading back out in the am

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Traveled to 3D to hunt some old stomping grounds with some older friends. Was cold and extremely windy, so I opted to sit on the ground...tough to see in all the beech brush, so I sat in the tall grass around an old beaver pond. Lots of fresh bear scat and deer tracks, rubs were strangely absent all along the ridge I like to hunt and in the swamp. Buddy of mine harvested a six pointer....that was all the action for the day.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Quite a few shots around this evening. They were off in the distance a good ways but I was surprised to hear them. There's nobody up here. Everyone left Tuesday. Camps are empty everywhere. Saw a few tails on the way out at dark. Back at it tommorow.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Planned to head over to my spot right from work, to hunt the last hour of the day. Got back to the station later than normal due to a tree cutting crew that blocked the main road back. Got to my stand with 35 minutes of legal time left. Not ten minutes on stand I saw three doe. I tried for the momma doe, but missed. 60 yard moving quartering away shot, but I had to take it offhand as they approached from an angle I had not expected. I trailed them for a good while but nothing. She didn't' react like an animal that had gotten hit so I chalked it up as a miss. Hoping to make the last hour tomorrow, then morning and evening hunts on Saturday.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Stayed out from 7 AM till 4:45 and still have not shot a deer.
Was around 15 degrees colder than yesterday with winds but just a drizzle of rain. Good thing was the wind dried out much of the past 2 days rain.
Will be back at it again tomorrow, but there will only be 3 of us left.
Keep Looking

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Went slinking around today. Walked up on 17 does in 3-4 groups. Jumped several and didn't see them. The wind today with the wet leaves made it easy to get close. Been after a good one. He is slick. Scrapes were freshly worked.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have been hitting SGL 180 hard for the last four days and I have not seen one darn thing. Plenty of poop and buck rubs about but no animals at all. Did the aliens swoop em up?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Keep hunting the same general area for reasons I can't explain beyond the truly big rubs and also alot of other rubs. Walked today. My gosh stumbling and tripping on undergrowth and other woods debris. Sat.down for awhile and saw one doe. Just appeared oit of nowhere. Then it disappeared. I stood up it reappears. No horns. So for me it was. Insane a deer close up. Forbes state forest. Blue hole area.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts