The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
One bird is gobbling good here this morning. We made a move on him....he is still gobbling, but I can’t get him to come.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Both guys in my crew that still have tags left are on birds. Wife’s uncle crushed a giant this morning, and her brother is on a bird that has been gobbling all morning, but has 6 hens with him. Hopefully it plays out in his favor. Keep after ‘em boys, there are still birds out there that want to die!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Great end to season and don’t have to clean a bird....

Heard a way off gobble about 30 mins after sunrise. Moved closer and successful called him into about 50 yards, but didn’t have a good shot (and that was a bit further than I wanted). He strutted and gobbled for a good 45 minutes. , all inside of 100yards. I just couldn’t coax him to where I wanted him.

I got anxious and made the stupid decision to try to move a bit when he was walking away to expand my shot opportunities, and immediately fell over due to no circulation in legs. That was a wrap with him.

He must have gobbled 75-100 times. Was nice to hear for a change.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The worst season I've ever had. Plenty of gobblers around and have been silent for close to 3 weeks. Hunting private ground that has little hunting pressure. Not henned up just quit gobbling.

·
Registered
20,410 Posts
Isn't the breeding season pretty much over? Maybe the birds have moved on to whatever they do in the summer...which apparently involves very little gobbling.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ended the day around noon after calling in two separate hens this morning. No gobbling at all in 2a.
Guess since they gave up gobbling on the roost two weeks ago that they just stop completely!
Had to get up at 3 am which just another reason why our season sucks. Would be even worse out east. Gets light here just before 5am

·
Super Moderator
24,039 Posts
Only hunted until noon today but I called in 9 hens none of which had a gobbler with them. The last hen I called in laid down in front of the tree I was behind for a good 15 minutes, it was only 12 yards away lol it finally did get up and mosy to the woods to my right. I did manage to get a couple of pics of it

Attachments

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Made the trek up to Pa last night to hunt the last evening and last day. Couldn't get much going last night with the storms rolling in and out but did jump a grouse. Could not believe I was still finding human tracks this late in the season as well as no sign in one of my go to spots public spots in 4A. It also looks like the game commission or whoever does the work for them decided to trim branches along the food plots roads winding through the gamelands. Why that couldn't wait another week is beyond me...oh well. So that made me shift to a different spot on the gamelands that I had found some scratching's and sign back in the first week.

I hit the ground running at 5 am and was greeted by multiple whippoorwills but no gobbling. I decided to commit to running a steep ridge out banking that it would dump into some good turkey woods at the end. I know I would likely get into some non turkey habitat, but I never envisioned I would run into what I did. Almost 2 miles of nothing but laurel and boulders that make walking nearly impossible....and a steep hillside. The crazy thing was there was some good breaks of hardwoods mixed in that could hold birds. Anyway, I walked it out finally broke into some good habitat by about 8am. Never did hear anything in there nor find any sign. It was a long 3 mile walk straight uphill to the truck.

I jumped counties and went to a different gamelands. By then it was after 11 and I got into some sign and even jumped a hen with about a dozen poults. They were beg enough to fly. I walked a big loop until after 1 and called it a day. 11.2 miles total and not a peep. Pa has got my number here lately (only hunted it 2 days) but I'll be back next year with a plan. It's already in the works

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Props to yinz still putting the time in. I understand because I would hunt the last buck left on earth, but for turkeys this season I had to call it a bust. I wanted to give it a last hurrah today but had a shed to paint and fishing trips planned the next 3 weekends, and something had to to give. I hunted turkeybirds more than I ever have this season and had some fun and a lot of frustration. Next year I'm planning on chasing them out of state when the season timing is better.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I had that bird gobbling pretty good, and he was within 75 yards. Suddenly he went quiet so I started scoping pretty hard with the binos along a logging road just off the top of the ridge we were set up on. I caught the back end of a turkey passing between two trees, and eventually I caught a glimpse of a tail fan along the trail.

He strutted around in circles for a while, and he would occasionally answer me, but he eventually moved off away from us. Pretty bird - got a couple good looks at him in the binos.

Still a fun morning moving our set up on him and trying to work him into range. Beautiful morning to be in the woods. God-willing, hopefully we can duel with him next spring.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Been the worst and most frustrating season i have ever had. Hunted every day but 3 this season and man did i put some miles on my legs lol. Only saw 3 hens and saw 2 long beards together and only one of them gobbled once at a woodpecker. That was the only gobble i heard all season. There is always next year.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Yesterday was the best day I had all season by far. I had three different adult birds in to 50-75 yards. Both times a hen came and took them away. I heard at least 3 other birds and probably more. I spooked 2 gobblers that were together when I stood up to move on another one. These looked to be Jakes. There was still gobbling at 11am but I had a birthday party to attend at noon. It was a great end to a very slow season.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts