The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Was out early this morning ! Had a 45 minute drive and then a 45 minute walk back in to where I had the 2 birds going yesterday morning. I walked down the gas road and was in place a 1/2 hour before daylight and stood on the edge of a big bowl where the gas well road splits and waited for daylight and to hear a couple gobbles. At around 5:12 I heard the first one way up on the top of a big pointed hill where a mowed gas line runs and as I was trying to figure out a plan on how to get to him without bumping him or him seeing me a second bird sounded off right on the road that I had just walked down and he was even closer so I found a tree and sat down. Then I gave a couple soft tree yelps and a couple cutts and he hammered at them. I then heard him fly down and he gobbled and went the other way gobbling clear back to my truck and then I thought I heard him drop down into the hollow and then he went silent. The one up on the top of the hill on the powerline went quiet as soon as he flew down and sounded like an older bird. So I came up with a plan to walk around the hill and climb the backside where they put up one of the management fences. I got to the top without bumping any deer or turkeys ! I found a tree and had a seat for a couple hours and calling lightly and sparingly with no answers. I decided to get up and walk to the edge of the hill and make a call before leaving and bam !! The one down in the hollow answered me right away. So I sat back down and called again and again he hammered. Every time I called he answered but wouldn't close the distance so I figured he was the bird from the day before and he had picked up his hen. They were on the gas well road walking it out ,so back down the hill I went to the road ! Then I hear him gobble on his own and it sounds like he is now going up the hill so back up along the fence I go to about half way and listen for a gobble ! He hammers on his own back on the road so you guessed it back down I went. I was trying to get to where the road splits into 2 just in case. As soon as I can see the split I look for a tree to sit down and when I look back there he stood and he busted me. A couple alarm putts and away he goes. I guess I should have had more patience and just setup on the edge of the road at the first tree and let him walk the road to me. The other bird never made another peep so I called it a day and its back to work until Friday. So I have 2 last days to make it happen !!

Congrats to the wife on her bird Rabbit runner!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts