The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up to help the wife get ready. She shot one the first day and got the itch to try and do it again. I’m on dad duty. Good luck! Finish strong.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Well last week to get it done and I have off 4 of the days !
Sitting in my spot waiting for Mother Nature to wake up !
Hoping to hear a gobble this morning so I can close in and fill a tag !
Will probably do allot of walking today hoping to spark one up !
Good luck to all still trying to fill a tag !!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
A lot of gobbling for 2 hours in Tioga this morning. I had 3 gobbling around me with 1 coming in quickly. An owl flew into a tree aside of me and started to hooting and they still gobbled. A hen cut in front of me then things turned quiet. Most gobbling I heard since opening day.

·
Super Moderator
13,650 Posts
I bicycled in two miles to where I worked one on Saturday. As I was getting into the area I made a call and he gobbled twice at a distance. I was headed his way and knew exactly where I wanted to set up. I pushed the bike out a big pipeline to get to my set up spot, a big cherry tree marked the spot where I was going to leave my bike. I got to the tree and there sat a guy.

I conversed with him for a few minutes and the bird gobbled again. I proceeded to get out of the area and started trolling for a new bird. I was planning to hit another game lands road and go about three miles deep on it. Then the hub went on my bike and I had to push the bike the rest of the way around the loop to get back to the truck. Fortunately part of it was down hill and I could coast the bike for at least part of the return trip.

I knew that hub was going but had been hoping it would get me through gobbler season. Dropped that bike at the shop for an estimate on repairs then headed to Walmart to get heavy duty slime tubes for my spare bike's tires. Came home and got the spare bike all set for tomorrow morning. Hopefully some of the many hunters out today will be back to work tomorrow and the rest of the week.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
I had a rough day out there. Didn’t hear any gobbling and didn’t call in any hens. Trucks parked in two different spots I wanted to hunt in the afternoon.

I am about done . Going to camp next weekend and may get a quick hunt in Saturday morning.

Hiking the mountains in the heat today sort of sucked the life out of me. Found the windy day with snow a couple weeks ago more enjoyable.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Worked 2 birds early this morning until a guy came in and bumped them ! So I made a big 3 mile loop around and got back on the one around 10:30 and worked him until 11:47 and then the hen led him off. I saw her at about 50yds but never saw him but he gobbled his head of even as I left I called and he gobbled about 200 yds off ! I was going to drive around and come in from the other side but there was a truck parked there so I'll be back there in the morning ! Good Luck guys keep at it they're out there !

·
Registered
666 Posts
Went out with my son today and the birds where gobbling really good. The bird we went after stayed in the tree till 7:48 gobbling the whole time before he flew down go figure,once he hit the ground we gave a series of calls and he gobbled twice and went the other way. Went up the road to another spot and walked in about 100 yds and struck up another bird went up the hill to top and got above him and set up and he gobbled a 100yds out below us,sat there for 1/2 hr and nothing,hit call and he gobbles way up the hollow about 300yds out. Went to another spot near the house and had 3 different birds gobbling at 11:45, go set up and birds where gobbling alot in 3 different spots,sat there for a 1/2 hr and nothing. Got up and crawled to a fenceline and took a peak in bottom and one gobbler about 100yds that was answering calls and he got 2 hens with him and is struting, the other birds where gobbling in a cow pasture on posted ground so we called it a day and if there was a swimming pool there i would have dove in it man was it hot by 12:00pm.

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
Saw 4 this evening while riding bike, GL in Centre county. 3 were out in a field, 4th one I startled when I came across a turn on an old grass logging road; he couldnt get out of there fast enough

·
Registered
108 Posts
We had a good brief hunt Monday morning had a bird come in that circled us but just would not offer a clear shot. North east game lands.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts