The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gettin ready to get my youngest on the school bus then after mornin chores out I go again.Looks like the last day for snow camo.Good luck to all and hopefully we will have good success stories to tell later.Go get em!

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Saw a huge buck last night while picking up my oldest from work. Of course is was on a large tract of property protected from hunting and will probably live its life out there unless it gets hit by a car on the busy road out front. This buck was a main frame 10 probably went 160-170. Simply huge....

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotta check my sights.Had one dead for rights around 5:00 at close range at it bounded off laughin.Gave a good search till lost light and nothin.Still gonna check tomorrow but I can hear the laughter from the woods.

·
6,466 Posts
good ole boy said:
Gotta check my sights.Had one dead for rights around 5:00 at close range at it bounded off laughin.Gave a good search till lost light and nothin.Still gonna check tomorrow but I can hear the laughter from the woods.
gotta have a strong will to be a flintlock hunter.....tests ones will to keep going that's for sure......that's why I love it

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
treestand91 said:
good ole boy said:
gotta have a strong will to be a flintlock hunter.....tests ones will to keep going that's for sure......that's why I love it

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your so true.I never hunt so hard in any other season.The only exception to that is when I take my son out and let him carry the sole rifle.He got a BB in the early season.I always pick myself up from my bootstraps and hit it again.But in all seriously I want to check my elevation.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Well Im hung it yesterday. I for some reason just all of a sudden lost the will to go out. So I went out for a couple hours in the evening just to empty the gun. It was the only night we didnt see a deer besides one day of rifle. It also didnt help that guys set up in the area after we did, where the deer have been coming from.

So my stats for late season, seen more deer than everyone thought we would. Had a couple misses on a doe, and one miss fire. Always next year

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Same post as the other thread - will save time for those that already read it.

Saw four yesterday.

One stood for a long time in the thick at 70 yards before going off the other way.

Bounced two - no chance at a shot.

Last one was to far off and no way to slip in.

Basically about 4" of snow with a crust under it. Soft - but noisy. The saving grace was the rain... sort of.

Started raining at 11 am then off and on till about 2. From then until right after dark - steady rain and hard at times.

Thought better of it and decided to fire and reload the rifle. After all the rain holding the rifle close to my body and all - wet is wet. So I shouldered and squeezed the trigger.

No hesitation - bang. Felt good after the very wet day that I beat it.

Woke up this morning with heavy fog. The snow melted a lot over night. In some places the ground was bare.

The deer melted... hunted all day and saw a grand total of two. After all the still hunting, the sitting, the stealth... I was just plain walking to cover ground and walked right up on a small legal buck and a doe.

60 yards through mostly open woods. They of course saw me, I of course was not near a rest.

Lined up the shot - click.

Twice more same result. After number three they trotted off.

Wiped down fizzen and it went right off.

Beautiful day - light wind and sunshine... and the gun didn't fire. And yesterday...

Worst part is - I have to wait a year to do it again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts