The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts

Ended my season..and what an amazing season it was!

20-25yd shot through the front shoulders...50cal tc hawken..70gr 3fg and a Buffalo ballet...she was broke down but slide 40yds down a steep hillside...one of the bigger does ive killed or seen killed...wanted to cry when we had to drag her back up that hillside in melting snow...wasnt horrible with 3 of us...i thought for sure she wasnt going anywhere with that shot...both front shoulders were wrecked..but down hill in the snow she plowed her way down..

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Nice big Doe! Way to go! Congrats!!!

·
Registered
19,654 Posts
Congrats Mauser on a great flintlock season. Two fine trophies there.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Thanx guys! It was a great season...all the way through from archery till now...my best ever...turkey in archery season...a yote in rifle season...a buck and doe with the rocklock...i wish i kept a log of deer sightings...and buck sightings...today just absolutely capped off an amazing season..i was absolutely content after rifle season with all my tags unfilled...

Keep getting the urge to buy or build a new rocklock...even last nite i spent hours browsing...but my Hawken is a deer slayer..thats #6..actually #7 for the rifle..my buddy killed a buck with it a few years ago lol..

Flinting is a challenge to learn...ive had a miss or 2 and failure to fire etc...but once you learn, it is an absolutely deadly weapon...

Actually had a decent hangfire today...i didnt clean the touch hole good enough i think after cleaning...hangfire or not if you keep your head down and sights where they need to be that bullet is hitting its mark...but thats one of the biggest challenges..keeping your head down and sights lined up till the rifle recoils...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts